'User Deferred' error, Single Server 6.5

Hi all,

I've been using Retrospect Single Server 6.5 for about a year to backup around 100 clients onto a WinXP server. Mostly works well, but one error has occurred on two clients during that time. Never fixed it first time around because the PC got wiped and I set it all up afresh. This time, a different PC, I can't really use the same tactic so hope someone knows the answer...

The PC client was being successfully backed up each day using a proactive script. Now it just reports 'User Deferred' approx every 10 minutes. The user is NOT deferring the backup, but Retrospect thinks he is. The events log is just full of 'User Deferred' entries for this one client.

Communication must be OK as I have run an 'immediate backup' from this client. It just seems to be the proactive script that can't get through. THere are other PCs using the same script and working fine, so I think the script must be OK.

I've tried reinstalling the client, also removing the info about client and its volumes at the server end (deleting it from the list of clients). When I re-add it to the list and put it back in the script it just starts getting the deferred notices again.

Any ideas? I assume there's something on the client PC that is telling fibs to the server.

Cheers

Dave W.

Is there a client UN-installer on the CD? After running it, search for "Retrospect" files or folders on the client. There may be a prefs file that needs to be deleted as well. Probably in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect Client

(Hope I got the path right, I'm not on my PC at the moment.)

Then re-install the client.

Thanks for he suggestion guys. I though that had done the trick when the server identified the client a a new one, preumeably inticating the client had been successfully uninstalled and re-installed. However...

Sadly, withing a few minutes of setting up the system to proactively backup the new client the 'user deferred' posts started appearing in the events list again.

Any further advice gratefully received.

Cheers

DW.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Having the same problem with a v6.5.136 client and a v6.5.536 single server.

Reparing/unistalling/cleaning registry/cleaning "Application data" of the user... don't work.

Perhaps the problem is on the users base of the server?

Is there any cleaning tools for this datas base?

Is there any hidden prefs files on the client?

Thanks

Archived