Express HD - Not enough room for backup

sstackho

Nate,

You said:

As long as a file is listed in at least one restore point it will not be removed from the backup.

So does that mean if I happen to delete a restore point that is the only place a file is contained, it is permanently removed from the backup? Or will Retrospect put it back into the backup the next time it runs?

I have to say that this software seems really buggy. I already went through that has been suggested once and it did not work. I'll try it again and see what happens, but my hopes are not high. To be more specific, the steps I have already taken include:

1. Deleting the RestorePoint.rbc file and allowing Retrospect to recreate it.

2. Manually deleting restore points to free up space on my hard drive

3. Running the setup again to enable automatic backup.

Even after taking these steps, Retrospect did not automatically delete old backup points to make way for new ones. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your continuing help.

Lawrence

Hi

Yes, if a file is referenced by only one restore point and you delete that restore point that file will be deleted from the backup. If the file is on a disk the next time you run a backup it will be added to the backup again.

From your previous posts it sounds like Retrospect has gone through the process of grooming out old data but it deleted less than you expected. There are a lot of possible causes.

At this point you might want to start the backups again from scratch. To do this delete the restore points file. Delete the Retrospect folder on your external HD. Run the setup again making sure to select only the disks you want to back up as sources. Don't select the entire my computer container.

Thanks

Nate

Archived