JPG": didn't compare at offset 128 in stream

lake

I keep getting this error for jpg files. It only happens to a small fraction but is not consistant, ie not the same jpg files each time. When I open the files they seem fine, but......

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\xxxxxx.JPG": didn't compare at offset 128 in stream ":Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:DATA"

Hi

It could be a few things. The biggest concern would be read and write failures. That would indicate a problem with the source or the destination disk.

Have you run scan disk on both disks? Are the jpg files that cause errors newly created files or have they been there for a while?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I have not run scan disk recently but the destination drive is brand new and newly formatted to NTFS.

I use two backup sets. Each set reports the same errors and the files that are reported by this error are the same every time. They are always jpg or tif files. None of them are new (they have been around a while).

I am guessing that if there are r/w failures they would be on the source since both destination sets are reporting the same errors.

I'm having a somewhat similar problem--I almost (but not quite) always get a "didn't compare at offset 61" error on a single file. Always the same file, always the same offset. In my case it's a text file, not a jpeg. This happens both when backing up to an external hard drive and when backing up to DVD. I've run scandisk on the source drive and didn't find anything, and I've looked at the file itself and don't see any obvious issues. The file is definitely not in use during backup. I retrieved the file from a backup where the "error" occurred, and it's identical to the source file, so I'm not sure what problem Retrospect is having here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

[Long post warning ... sorry :-)]

I have this same problem on my system. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that this represents a Retrospect bug with respect to NTFS data streams, but that may or may not be accurate.

NTFS supports multiple data streams. Generally, for general Windows application use, only the primary stream is used. However, some applications do make use of the multiple stream feature. For instance, a program simulating a Macintosh file system might use additional data stream to represent the resource fork on the MacOS.

[Everything from here down is basically conjecture, so believe it at your own risk! ;-) ]

I have begun to suspect that another use is being found for the additional NTFS streams by indexing programs. Specifically, programs like multimedia library programs that index all the images, videos, music files on your hard drive and let you catalog them, search for them, etc. I suspect that some of these programs are indexing the files by adding an additional data stream to each file it "catalogs". By doing this, the catalog travels with the file, rather than being separated into some database. By placing it in a separate data stream, the primary data streams is not modified. Also, a single format could theoretically be used on all file types, eliminating the need to use different cataloguing techniques for each type of file an application works with.

If this is what is happening, then it seems likely that one of two things is probably happening. One, the applications that are writing the additional streams are doing so in some bogus way (e.g., not closing them or something?) such that the very act of reading the file results in a change to the additional stream. Don't know enough about NTFS streams to be sure this could really happen, but it is seems like a potential possibility. The second possibility is that Retrospect is not copying the additional streams in a manner that allows for accurate comparison (maybe it is failing to include, or erroneously including, an end of stream marker for instance).

The thing that led me to these thoughts are the following errors from a backup shortly after I recently installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 on my system:

11/10/2005 2:39:06 AM: Comparing Internal1 (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Photo 1.jpg": didn't compare at offset 106 in stream ":Roxio EMC Stream:DATA"

File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\100_0334.JPG": didn't compare at offset 106 in stream ":Roxio EMC Stream:DATA"

File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\100_0736.JPG": didn't compare at offset 106 in stream ":Roxio EMC Stream:DATA"

File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\100_0540.JPG": didn't compare at offset 106 in stream ":Roxio EMC Stream:DATA"

File "C:\Downloads\Applications\Microsoft\I-WinColorSetup.exe": didn't compare at offset 104 in stream ":Zone.Identifier:DATA"

Note that the first 4 files all mention a stream that includes "Roxio". Also notice that the first 4 errors all occur at the same offset (what is the chance that 4 data files all have an error at the exact same spot? I think not that high). Finally, note that the final file is not a media file, but an executable (in this case a downloaded and renamed setup file), and that the error is in a similar, but different location. All these facts lead me to guess that it is Retrospect that is somehow not dealing with multiple streams properly (for all I know, Retrospect is creating the streams as part of some backup compression strategy).

It would be nice if somebody from the Dantz technical community could comment on this and help us all figure out whether this is something we need to worry about or not.

For what it is worth, those are my thoughts on this problem.

Regards,

Brian

I have seen errors similiar to this in the past and I was also suspicious of alternate data streams. Retrospect does support backing up alternate data streams. What version of Retrospect and OS are you running? Do all pictures handled by Roxio Easy Media Creator give this error? From my past tests, the files themselves are fine. You should try restoring some of the pictures and see if they are viewable.

Thanks RonaldL

I don't think my errors were related to Roxio. They were random image files and were perfectly viewable. My solution, albeit a bit crude, was to delete the files. I didn't really need them and have not seen the error since (surprise??). This doesn't really fix the issue, but at least it is out of sight for now.

FYI

OS = W2k Pro

Retrospect 7.0.326, update 7.0.9.103

I'm running Retrospect Pro 7.0.8.103 on Windows XP Pro SP2 (plus updates). I'm not sure if all pictures touched by Roxio show the problem. I would say I don't think so. When I first started up the Roxio app that manages media, I think I stopped the automatic catalog operation. It's possible that these files were the only ones actually catalogued, or it's possible that these were somehow incompletely modified.

I am able to open these pictures without a problem in any number of my usual image viewing/editing programs. I've restord the file and compared to original. File sizes are identical and there seem to be no difference in behavior when opened in any apps I have tried thus far.

I alternate backups to two different hard drives. The logs show the exact same errors to both drives. I've checked all three disks and no errors were reported on any (all drives are pretty much new as it is a new system). I think the chance that the problem is disk-related is pretty small. This feels like a software problem and something subtle, like a difference in whether an end-of-stream marker is actually present or implied ... that kind of thing.

At present, I have no evidence that the error message represents any actual problem, other than adding clutter to the error list and log file. Still, it is a bit annoying and I would like to have a definitive explanation.

Regards,

Brian

• 2 months later...

After some experimentation, I reached this conclusion:

First Retrospect backup of .mp3 file BEFORE adding it to Windows Media Player 10: do NOT get "didn't compare" error.

First Retrospect backup of .mp3 file AFTER adding it to Windows Media Player 10: DO get "didn't compare" error, but only on 6 specific files out of hundreds ripped from my 200+ audio CDs.

Windows Media Player (WMP) automatically fetches album information from the Internet when a file is opened or ripped and added to its library.

I made a post to a different thread yesterday, before I found this thread, and before the results described below:

I copied one .mp3 file that I had been having trouble with from my computer to my husband's computer, did a Retrospect backup on my husband's computer - no error on that file. Opened the file in Windows Media Player 10, closed WMP 10, did another backup - still no error.

"17 Track 17.mp3" is another file that I was getting a "didn't compare" error with on my computer. I copied the file to my husband's computer, opened it in Windows Media Player 10, played part of it, exited Windows Media Player 10, and did an Immediate Backup on my husband's computer (incremental backup of everything except the Recycle Bin), and this time I DID get a "didn't compare" error in Retrospect.

I am running Retrospect separately on each of the two computers because I was having trouble backing up a client over the Ethernet.

Neither of the two files that I copied to my husband's computer had been on it before, as far as I know.

Below is part of the Retrospect log from the last backup:

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 1/16/2006 11:41 AM

To backup set ...

- 1/16/2006 11:41:30 AM: Copying Drive C (C:)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLMICROSOFTBCM\Data\master.mdf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLMICROSOFTBCM\Data\mastlog.ldf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLMICROSOFTBCM\Data\model.mdf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLMICROSOFTBCM\Data\modellog.ldf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLMICROSOFTBCM\Data\tempdb.mdf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLMICROSOFTBCM\Data\templog.ldf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_79c.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

1/16/2006 11:44:37 AM: Snapshot stored, 71.5 MB

1/16/2006 11:45:19 AM: Comparing Drive C (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\17 Track 17.mp3": didn't compare at offset 84 in stream ""

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDCON.log": didn't compare at offset 92 in stream "Data"

File "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RTHLPSVC.EXE-1861027B.pf": different modify date/time (set: 1/16/2006 11:31:55 AM, vol: 1/16/2006 11:44:04 AM)

File "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER": different modify date/time (set: 1/16/2006 11:33:07 AM, vol: 1/16/2006 11:45:15 AM)

My computer: Retrospect Desktop Win 5.6.127, Driver Update 3.1.103, Windows XP SP1, 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 Dell Dimension 8200, internal hard drive is EIDE (120 GB Hitachi Deskstar) (old-style parallel, not serial). Backups are File Backups to removeable hard drives which are standard EIDE drives placed in Genica Removeable Mobile Media Hard Drive Trays. We have several removeable drives (currently 160GB and 180GB Hitachi Deskstar, older ones are 160GB Western Digital Caviar), and get the same errors with all of them. We swap drives by shutting down the computer, removing the drive tray, putting in a different one, then starting up again and disabling System Restore on the backup drive.

My husband's computer is a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP SP2, same version of Retrospect. His internal hard drive is SATA (160 GB Seagate Technology?), and removeable hard drive is same parallel EIDE as my computer. (Backup, by the way, is much slower on his computer than on my computer.)

In Retrospect, we are not using compression, and are using DES encryption.

Both systems have 1GB of RAM and are currently running Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3646. Files ripped on my computer at 192 Kbps using Windows Media Player and an mp3 plug-in that I bought. Some files might have been ripped using an older version of Windows Media Player.

This message includes two logs showing identical "didn't compare" errors before and after restoring my data from backup to a new C: drive.

Here is a portion of the Retrospect log from a backup of my computer prior to my BIOS reporting that my C: drive was starting to fail. I saved the operations_log.utx file and copied the text from the log file, so it looks a little different from what you see in the Operations Log window:

- 6/22/2005 2:07:21 AM: Copying $[*!20612,,14,+3]Drive C (C:)

6/22/2005 2:16:46 AM: Snapshot stored, 81.1 MB

6/22/2005 2:17:02 AM: Comparing $[*!20612,,14,+3]Drive C (C:)

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\Documents and Settings\carol\My Documents\My Music\Original Soundtrack\Star Wars Trilogy- The Original Soundtrack Anthology Disc 2\11 Han Solo and the Princess.mp3$[2]": didn't compare at offset 114 in stream ""

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\Documents and Settings\carol\My Documents\My Music\The Tallis Scholars\Christmas Carols and Motets\15 Wachet Auf, Ruft Uns Die Stimme (Chorale Prelude).mp3$[2]": didn't compare, reached end of file

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\Documents and Settings\carol\My Documents\My Music\various choirs\MASSED CHOIRS SPECTACULAR\17 Track 17.mp3$[2]": didn't compare, reached end of file

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\Documents and Settings\carol\My Documents\My Music\Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart\Mozart- Complete Flute Quartets\01 Track 1.mp3$[2]": didn't compare at offset 121 in stream ""

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\Documents and Settings\carol\My Documents\My Music\Yo-Yo Ma\Classic Yo-Yo\02 Tango Sensations- Fear [#].mp3$[2]": didn't compare at offset 110 in stream ""

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDCON.log$[2]": didn't compare at offset 92 in stream "Data"

$[*20750] File "$[1]C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RTHLPSVC.EXE-286BE336.pf$[2]": different modify date/time (set: 6/21/2005 2:14:14 AM, vol: 6/22/2005 2:13:52 AM)

6/22/2005 2:17:28 AM: 7 execution errors

Completed: 251 files, 151.5 MB

Performance: 242.3 MB/minute (185.5 copy, 363.5 compare)

Duration: 00:10:07 (00:08:51 idle/loading/preparing)

I was getting these "didn't compare" error messages for a long time and the computer seemed to work just fine. Then one day I got an error message on booting the computer that said my hard drive was starting to fail, and I should backup my data and replace the hard drive. The computer attempted to boot into Windows, but some system files were missing or corrupt. I replaced the internal C: drive, which was a 120GB Western Digital Caviar, with a 120GB Hitachi Deskstar. Then I restored the entire contents of the C: drive from a one-day-old Retrospect backup. I did a full backup to another removeable hard drive. I still get identical error messages on the same 5 "My Music" files. Plus a new error on "Drew's Famous..." that I ripped recently. I get these same errors every time I backup. Presumably Retrospect thinks that it failed to back up the file properly on the previous backup, so it tries again. I have tried restoring a file from backup to a separate directory and doing a binary compare using several shareware compare programs, and the two files are reported to be identical. The files also play just fine in Windows Media Player.

Here is a portion of the Retrospect log from a recent backup of my computer with the new internal hard drive:

+ Retrospect version 5.6.127

Automatically launched at 1/14/2006 1:00 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.1.103

+ Normal backup using BackupNightly20050709 at 1/14/2006 1:00 AM

To backup set carolxp_11_20050709...

- 1/14/2006 1:00:12 AM: Copying Drive C (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_5fc.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

1/14/2006 1:08:14 AM: Snapshot stored, 85.7 MB

1/14/2006 1:08:33 AM: Comparing Drive C (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\My Documents\My Music\Original Soundtrack\Star Wars Trilogy- The Original Soundtrack Anthology Disc 2\11 Han Solo and the Princess.mp3": didn't compare at offset 114 in stream ""

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\My Documents\My Music\The Tallis Scholars\Christmas Carols and Motets\15 Wachet Auf, Ruft Uns Die Stimme (Chorale Prelude).mp3": didn't compare, reached end of file

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\My Documents\My Music\Various Artists\Drew's Famous Nifty at 50 - Music for Your Party\08 I Want to Hold Your Hand.mp3": didn't compare at offset 92 in stream ""

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\My Documents\My Music\various choirs\MASSED CHOIRS SPECTACULAR\17 Track 17.mp3": didn't compare, reached end of file

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\My Documents\My Music\Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart\Mozart- Complete Flute Quartets\01 Track 1.mp3": didn't compare at offset 121 in stream ""

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\My Documents\My Music\Yo-Yo Ma\Classic Yo-Yo\02 Tango Sensations- Fear [#].mp3": didn't compare at offset 110 in stream ""

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDCON.log": didn't compare at offset 92 in stream "Data"

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDFW.log": didn't compare at offset 92 in stream "Data"

File "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MSMSGS.EXE-173E16DA.pf": different modify date/time (set: 1/14/2006 1:03:45 AM, vol: 1/14/2006 1:07:51 AM)

File "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RTHLPSVC.EXE-0815BD17.pf": different modify date/time (set: 1/13/2006 9:40:39 PM, vol: 1/14/2006 1:05:18 AM)

1/14/2006 1:09:31 AM: 12 execution errors

Completed: 1064 files, 366.7 MB

Performance: 252.8 MB/minute (189.6 copy, 379.3 compare)

Duration: 00:09:19 (00:06:24 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 1/14/2006 1:10 AM

This does not seem like a problem with the hard drive being corrupt. Why would it fail in an identical fashion to the previous hard drive, and also fail on my husband's computer? Is the file being restored from backup in a corrupt form? I suppose it could conceivably be a problem with the IDE controllers. It seems more likely that Retrospect has trouble handling files with a specific data pattern and multiple streams.

I now have a simple test case and can cause a "didn't compare" error to occur or not occur at will, depending on whether or not I open the file in Windows Media Player 10 before I backup the file in Retrospect Desktop Win 5.6.127.

If anyone at Dantz is interested, I can send them one of my .mp3 files that is failing.

Basically, I create a new test folder, make that a subvolume in Retrospect, then copy or move one of the failing .mp3 files to the test folder. Then I create a new File Backup Set, and do a backup of the test subvolume. This allows tests to be done very quickly, as I'm not backing up my whole C: drive or my whole "My Music" folder.

It doesn't matter which of my two hard drives the test subvolume and the test File Backup Set are on, I still get the same results. The two drives are my C: internal drive and my Q: removeable hard drive.

I get the same results using DES encryption, or having no password or encryption at all on the File Backup Set.

And, yes, I have tried moving one of the failing files from C: to Q: and back again. I can still get it to fail in this case, by opening it in Windows Media Player, and then doing a backup to a new File Backup Set. On the other hand, if I don't open it in WMP, then I don't get a "didn't compare" error.

Does this happen for all mp3s or specific mp3s? I notice that you're running 5.6 which is a very old version, have you tried a trial version of 7.0 to see if the same errors occur? I'll run some test with WMP10 and backups later today to see if I encounter the same error.

It's just 6 specific mp3 files that this happens on. As I mentioned in one of my posts, I ripped all of my audio CDs, of which I have over 200, so I have hundreds of mp3 files on my computer, and it's just 6 of them that I have problems with. When I insert an audio CD, Windows Media Player pulls the album and track information off of a database on the Internet. Sometimes I modify the information if it is incorrect. I'm not sure if I did that with these specific files.

I haven't tried a trial version of 7.0 yet. I could try it with a separate Backup File Set, so as not to mess up my existing backups. I was waiting for the bugs to get shaken out before upgrading. I think one post said they were using 7.0, and got some errors.

I used to have one .jpg file that I got a compare error with. I don't get the error any more. I can't remember if I did anything to make the error go away. I might have opened the file in Paint Shop Pro and modified it and saved it. I do remember that it was a file produced by scanning a photo print on my Epson scanner. I have lots of .jpg files. Most of them are straight from my digital camera, a few have been edited, and a few are from my scanner. Only one .jpg has ever given me an error with Retrospect.

I haven't tried ripping any of the 6 .mp3 files again.

Today I downloaded the Trial version of Retrospect Pro 7.0.326, and did a backup of my small test folder that was failing on Retrospect 5.6. Retrospect 7 worked just fine on my test case. I tried it with and without the "Backup Open Files" option, and did not get any errors. I usually exit all applications before running Retrospect, but there are some background processes running, such as Norton AntiVirus.

I just completed backing up my entire "My Music" folder with Retrospect 7. This is where all my .mp3 files are stored. No errors or warnings were reported. I also restored one file, and it worked OK. I will use the Trial version some more, and consider paying for the upgrade.

The Readme file says that version 7 can open Backup Sets from version 5.6, but then you can't open them in version 5.6, so I did the backup to a new File Backup Set on the same removeable hard drive as my previous backup.

Archived