W2K3 server restore fails

lafong

I'm trying to restore our Exchange server, but repeatedly fail at the last step. After restoring all the data, and booting into "Directory Services Restore Mode", the server takes several hours "Applying Computer Settings", then finally the login dialog comes up. After logging in, the Retrospect helper has finished the first two steps, but hangs forever on the "Updating Meta Data" step. When I reboot, I get the standard LSASS error because Active Directory hasn't been properly restored. I've tried several different snapshots, up to a year apart, and they all fail the same way.

> What version of Retrospect are you using? Make sure you have the latest version of Retrospect > and the newest driver update installed.

6.5. I'm not sure how 7.0 would help this symptom, it doesn't seem to be a driver or Retrospect issue, since the restore portion finishes. Seems to be either an Active Directory or Retrospect Helper issue. It's weird that AD would be bad for over a year though.

> Are you restoring to identical hardware?

Yes, the same box.

> What prompted the full system restore?

We had several power outages, lots of Active Directory errors. Tried repairing AD, but that was failing too. Tried disk repairs, no joy. I had installed the MS CRM stuff, which was also spitting out errors. Gave up and tried the restore. (Luckily, its not our mail server.)

> Make sure you have Retrospect 6.5.350 installed when you run the restore.

That's what I used.

> Is it possible that AD was corrupt/failing at the time of backup? Did you ever see any errors in the Retrospect log when you ran backups?

A while ago we used to get an -1017, insufficient permissions, error every night. But backups had been error free for awhile.

Hi Lafong,

Sorry for the slow response.

Please download a trial version of Retropsect 7 and use it to run the restore. After the helper service runs and _before_ you reboot, make a copy of the rthlpsvc.log file located in the Retrospect program directory.

Thanks

Nate

Archived