Can't move tapes in library

We're using Retrospect 6 on Tiger, with an Exabyte 1x10 1U tape library.

I'm trying to move the cleaning tape into slot 10, which is where it's supposed to be for automatic cleaning to work properly. Retrospect's documentation states that I should be able to drag and drop tapes in the Storage Devices window to rearrange their positions in the library.

However, that's just not working for me. I drag a tape over another one, it draws the black borders that indicate that it's "droppable", and then I drop it. But nothing happens.

I should mention that I'm managing these backups for a remote office, using Timbuktu. I know I can move the tapes using the buttons on the front of the device, but it would be handy to do this with Retrospect, since it's supposed to be a supported feature. I've never used this hardware before, so I might be missing something obvious :-)

I think I've figured it out. I downloaded Exabyte's libtool utility (command-line) for controlling the drive. It looks like you can't move tapes between slots in the library. You can only move tapes between the drive and the library.

That just adds an extra annoying step, but I was able to accomplish what I needed.

Thanks for the reply.

-dave

Archived