Restoring on a Different Computer

• 2 months later...

Quote:

Quote:

It seems that the Mini won't recognize the DVDs writted on the Powerbook.

Can you be more specific please?

- What exactly are you doing?

- What exactly are you seeing when you do it?

Sorry for the delay, I gave up on restoring information from backups and recreated it based on a clone.

My 15" Al Powerbook motherboard failed suddenly a few months ago. I had a number of backup sets that I could recover critical data from. I tried copying the software (Retrospect 6.1) over to my Mini.

The first set of backup disks weren't recognized as they were DVD-RWs. The second set were DVD-Rs. There weren't recognized either. The drive in the Mini will normally read DVD-Rs written in the Powerbook.

It looks like I'm stuck with the lowest common denominator (CD-Rs).

Quote:

The first set of backup disks weren't recognized as they were DVD-RWs. The second set were DVD-Rs. There weren't recognized either

What sort of drive is in the Mini?

Retrospect requires a writable optical drive in order to read data on its disks. In other words, in order for Retrospect to read a CD-R disk, the drive must be able to write CD-R disks. In order for it to read DVD-R disks, the drive must be able to write DVD-R disks.

The fact that a drive might be able to read burned DVD-R data disks doesn't mean that the same drive can read Retrospect's packet written DVD-R volumes. It's how the software has always worked.

Dave

Archived