6.5 - Recycle removing members from Set / Backup Stratergy Change?

AlphaData

Retrospect Multi Server 6.5.343 on an SBS 2003 Server.

We are using an AIT-2 drive but the amount of data being backed-up each night is getting close to tape capacity, so appending additional sessions to an all-ready used tape is a problem. Hence I was looking to use the Recycle Backup to ensure the tape is cleared down before each use.

For Monday through Thursday the same tape is used each night to cover immediate data loss or corruption.

For Fridays, a number of tapes are used:

Friday Week 1

Friday Week 2

Friday Week 3

Friday Month 1

Friday Month 2

Friday Month 3

The idea being that the Friday rotation goes something like this:

Friday Week 1

Friday Week 2

Friday Week 3

Friday Month 1

Friday Week 1

Friday Week 2

Friday Week 3

Friday Month 2

Friday Week 1

Friday Week 2

Friday Week 3

Friday Month 3

That lets us goes back a number of weeks or months. Each tape is in it's own Backup Set.

What I'm finding is that at some point after completing the backup, the tape is being removed from being a member of the backup set. That means every day you have to erase that night's tape and add it back to the Backup Set.

Am I miss-understanding the use of Recycle Backup? Could our backup rotation be improved to avoid this issue?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi

One thing to check is that the "reuse pre-named media" option is checked in the Retrospect media preferences.

If you don't erase a tape manually Retrospect should prompt you for a tape name when the backup runs. What tape name is it looking for?

Does the Activity monitory scheduled tab show all the recycle backups running normally?

Thanks

Nate

Archived