-843 error when trying to groom backup set from context menu

jcapslock

If I right click on a backup set and choose groom, I get the error "Can't continue using <backupset name>, error -843 (resource is in use by another operation." I have rebooted and stopped all operations. If I setup a scheduled groom and manually start it from the run menu it works. What can I do to fix this issue?

None of my sets will groom and now it looks like none of the backup scripts that reference them will backup. They all say waiting for <backup set name>. There are no operations using any of the backup sets and I've rebooted. I would hope I don't have to forget all backup sets and readd them all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having this issue! I have forgotten the sets and readded them. They work fine until I enable grooming on them, at which point they are forever in use by another operation. How do I enable grooming on my sets? I have also tried recataloging one of the sets and it still gives me this error after I enable grooming.

Hi

Does this happen with a newly created backup set?

In your first post you said that grooming would work if you schedule the groom and run it manually. In this situation does the grooming operation go all the way to completion or does it stop part way?

Thanks

Nate

It's been a couple weeks since I did that. I can't remember if they ran all the way through or not. I called support, yesterday, and they instructed me to click the action button on the options tab and choose groom after enabled my groom policy. If I do that then it actually shows up as grooming in the execution window. Before I was just closing the window. However, I just started with one backup set this morning, and it has been running Groom for 5 hours and 30 minutes. It took 4 hours and 15 minutes to get to the point where it says grooming segment x of xxx (Before that it said please wait for about 3 hours in the status). It is only on segment 15 of 1,497. I haven't had a lot of experience with grooming yet, but this does not seem right or efficient. I'm grooming my backup set to 15 snapshots, and there were only maybe 18 snapshots of each source. My stategy is to have 15 days worth of backups on an online raid volume and groom it back once a week to avoid running out of space. Am I dreaming? I have 8 backup sets to groom. At this rate it will take 48 hours just to groom them.

Archived