We need a fix for the loss of Retrospect Help with MS patch #KB896358 dated July 28, 2005

tortoise

Gentlemen:

Recently was caught off guard with a new client I had sold full Retrospect program and extra drive and set up of weekly automated back up with email notification that I monitor for my clients, as I was demonstrating the program he asked a question I did not know off the top of my head and tried to access the help index. SURPRISE it did not work, great way to inspire confidence! No problem I thought, just access help on my PC sitting next to us, SURPRISE again, my help did not work either. Sent the client home with his computer and promised to investigate and resolve. Searched your forums and only found one thread that was never really resolved and no mention of the problem in your FAQ or KB articles. Finally after rooting around the infamous Microsoft site I managed to focus in on the problem and discovered it is directly related to one of their damned "security patches" it is KB896358 (July 28 2005) that claims to fix another of the endless streams of vunerabilities discovered and their half assed approach is to fix it with no thought to breaking other things we depend on. So I am asking that you please find a way to fix this feature on the excellent Retrospect 7 professional product. I am finding the new email confirmation of both successful and problem reports is a smash hit with clients and it is really easy to sell the product with the assurance that I will be monitoring their backups via email and alert them if there is a problem. We do need a fix for this help issues however as it reflects poorly on the overall perception of what I know is a good product. Thank God I do both Windows and Macintosh and can conduct much of my own business on a Macintosh free of the daily frustrations that are so prevelant on the PC side. But I should not complain, I would starve fixing only Macs as they stay fixed, while the PC side provides more work than I can possibly handle.

Respectfully and thanks for a great product that continues to improve.

Dale Magner & Associates

dmagner@ (no spam)mac.com

A+ & Net+ certified.

• 2 months later...

Is this with Retrospect 7.0? If the program is launched from the system tray icon, you will be unable to access the help file if you do not have Retrospect set to run as a specified user. To fix this, go to Configure>Preferences, under Execution>Security, set Retrospect to always run as a specified user.

Archived