Trouble with Retrospect Exchange Server Agent

lejzer

Hi,

Recently i'm having trouble doing daily backups with Retrospect Exchange Server Agent. Backup starts, but aborts after a while with the following message in the eventlog on the Exchangeserver:

Eventid 2: The specified network name is no longer available. The Exchange database copy failed.

On the same server in Systemlog i get this:

Eventid 50: {Lost Delayed-Write Data} The system was attempting to transfer file data from buffers to \Device\LanmanRedirector. The write operation failed, and only some of the data may have been written to the file.

A few weeks back i got the same message and thought there was a problem with the destination server. I changed destination to one of my other servers. It worked for a while, and suddenly the same message came back but on the new server.

When i get this message the destinationserver just stops to respond on the network for about 30-60 mins, then it goes back to normal.

I don't know if this problem is due to Retrospect or something else. But i get more errormessages probably because of the "freeze". The following is errors on the destinationserver:

Eventid 1000: Windows cannot establish a connection to id.local with (0).

and

Eventid 1000: Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

Errors above is probably because of the server freezing.

I don't know why this is happening; but i have a few options:

* Retrospect causing this error.

* Broken/faulty networkcard on server (but on which server).

* Broken port(s) on gigabitswitch.

The problem is that the same error occured when backuping to another server, and continued to do so when i changed destination to another server.

Normal Backuproutines with Retrospect works as it should, and are using the same servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin

This agent is really old and no longer supported by our tech support group (because we have much better products available now). I would highly recommend upgrading to Retrospect 7 with the exchange add on. It includes much better integrated exchange support, error reporting and mailbox level backups. It really is the safer way to protect exchange.

BTW, I believe those are all Windows exchange errors. Check the MS website to see if they have similar errors.

Archived