No disc storage devices found

johndon

Hi,

This is very interesting.

Were any Windows updates applied to your system? Was any new software added to your system? What kinds of things were you doing on the machine in between the time the devices stopped appearing?

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

Retrospect wouldn't just break all of a sudden. Even if it did, a full uninstall and reinstall would resolve it. Something had to have changed in the environment.

I can assure you we aren't interested in finger pointing. We are simply looking at the facts:

1)Retrospect uses the same method to detect devices on _all_ computers.

2)The problems reported here are isolated to a specific hardware platform and don't affect everybody with that platform.

3)Motherboard/ chipset drivers have caused similar problems in the past.

4)Updates from Chipset manufacturers have fixed said problems.

There is always the possibility that something is wrong in Retrospect so we are actively investigating this issue. The answer may take a bit of time but we will find an answer and post it as soon as we can.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

I too am suddenly getting this problem. (WinXP Pro, SP1)

But last night R7Pro COULD see both my DVD burner and my tape driver. Now, R7Pro can't see jack squat. (No changes were made to drivers or firmware.) When I un-ignore the two devices then do a device scan, nothing changes. Even after multiple reboots yadda yadda.

I doubt it's a low-level issue seeing that R7Pro could see the devices and now can't. Further, the fact that both the DVD and tape drive vanished... I certainly don't lean toward mobo/firmware/driver finger-pointing. Pff.

From my own experience and reading this board, R7Pro is starting to smell like a rushed product. Seems sketchy. My backup software is the LAST thing I want to feel like a poorly tested product.

I'm outta here.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I hope Dantz can fix this issue, as it seems to be causing some serious consternation to the user community.

In my case, neither v6, 6.5 or 7 will see any devices. Just seems strange.

Nate,

Need any other information from me to help troublshoot this issue?

Aaron

Hi,

Our initial out-of-the-box tests with the NForce 4 mobo and v. 6.66 chipset have not yielded these results. We had a Plextor IDE DVD drive attached and Retrospect was able to recognize the device.

A question to all of you running into this problem:

1. How many hard drives do you have attached to this machine? ATA or SATA?

2. Are they RAID'ed and if so, in what configuration? RAID 0/1/5?

Quote:

Hi,

Our initial out-of-the-box tests with the NForce 4 mobo and v. 6.66 chipset have not yielded these results. We had a Plextor IDE DVD drive attached and Retrospect was able to recognize the device.

I have experienced this problem with SATA hard drives. First with 2 SATA II drives configured in RAID 0. Now, I continue to have problem with a single SATA I hard drive.

One of my optical drives is IDE the other is SATA I.

Hi,

Sorry, here are more details regarding our setup.

The following configuration was tested and Retrospect loaded a driver without any problems:

Abit AN8 SLI mobo (nForce4)

nForce4 driver 6.66

80GB Maxtor SATA HDD

Win XP Pro, SP2 (32-bit)

Plextor PX-716A (ATAPI)

Retrospect 7.0.301, RDU 7.0.7.101

Previous posts mentioned that RAID drivers had been installed. I'm wondering if this is the common link causing these issues.

Can you please describe the details of this process so we can setup an environment similar to yours?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Hi,

Sorry, here are more details regarding our setup.

The following configuration was tested and Retrospect loaded a driver without any problems:

Abit AN8 SLI mobo (nForce4)

nForce4 driver 6.66

80GB Maxtor SATA HDD

Win XP Pro, SP2 (32-bit)

Plextor PX-716A (ATAPI)

Retrospect 7.0.301, RDU 7.0.7.101

Previous posts mentioned that RAID drivers had been installed. I'm wondering if this is the common link causing these issues.

Can you please describe the details of this process so we can setup an environment similar to yours?

Thanks in advance.

ASUS-SLI Premium motherboard with SLI enabled

nForce4 driver 6.66 with all drivers installed except audio and firewall

2 Hitachi Deskstar SATA II 164 GB RAID0 or

1 Seagate SATA I ST3400832AS 400GB both on the nVidia controller

WIN XP Pro SP2 32 bit or

WIN XP Pro SP1 64 bit

Plextor PX-716SA SATA I on the nVidia controller

Plextor CD-R Premium on the built in IDE controller

Silicon Image Sil-3112 SATA I controller for external hard drive backup

Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card with current drivers

Retrospect 7.0.301, RDU 7.0.7.101 as well as some previous versions

RAID or non-RAID; WIN 32 or WIN 64; it makes no difference, Retrospect can not see my optical drives Windows can.

I see that 405HP_Z06, who also is having the problem, has a SLI mother board.

Although I am running on a single SATA drive now I did not uninstall the RAID drivers so they are lurking in the background somewhere.

As I stated in a previous post I once re-installed WIN 32 with nothing else but Retrospect installed, Retrospect still could not see my optcal drives. The only part of chipset driver V6.66 installed was what gets insatlled by F6 durring Windows installation.

What else can I tell you?

Best Regards

John

Quote:

Hi,

This is my configuration:

Gigabyte GA K8N-Pro SLI mainboard

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor

1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 RAM in dual channel configuration

1 SATA 160 GB hard drive on SATA IDE channel 0, RAID disabled via BIOS

1 PATA 200 GB hard drive on PATA IDE channel 1 as the master, RAID disabled via the BIOS

1 PATA DVD-R on PATA IDE channel 2 as a master, RAID disabled via the BIOS

1 PATA CD-R on PATA IDE channel 2 as a slave, RAID disabled via the BIOS

1 Adaptec 29160 SCSI card in PCI slot 2, SCSI ID 7

1 Sony SDX-900V AIT4 tape drive connected to the 29160 SCSI card, SCSI ID 5

1 Iomega 250 GB Zip drive connected via USB

1 ATI graphics card, SLI mode not ebabled

I am using the following software and have the following drivers:

Retrospect v7.0.326

RDU 7.0.7.101

Windows XP SP2 with all of the latest windows updates

I am not using the RAID controller for either SATA or PATA channels, but have the driver and NVRaid application loaded. I had to load the NForce 4 controller driver using the 'F6' command and a floppy during the build process or Windows wouldn't see the SATA drive. I had the option to load the controller driver and RAID driver or any combination of the two. I chose to load only the controller driver since I wasn't using the RAID function.

I am able to see and use all these devices through the Windows device manager. Both hard drives show up under the 'volumes' menu. I cannot see the tape, optical, or zip drive via the 'devices' menu.

Quote:

Quote:

Hi,

This is my configuration:

Gigabyte GA K8N-Pro SLI mainboard

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor

1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 RAM in dual channel configuration

1 SATA 160 GB hard drive on SATA IDE channel 0, RAID disabled via BIOS

1 PATA 200 GB hard drive on PATA IDE channel 1 as the master, RAID disabled via the BIOS

1 PATA DVD-R on PATA IDE channel 2 as a master, RAID disabled via the BIOS

1 PATA CD-R on PATA IDE channel 2 as a slave, RAID disabled via the BIOS

1 Adaptec 29160 SCSI card in PCI slot 2, SCSI ID 7

1 Sony SDX-900V AIT4 tape drive connected to the 29160 SCSI card, SCSI ID 5

1 Iomega 250 GB Zip drive connected via USB

1 ATI graphics card, SLI mode not ebabled

I am using the following software and have the following drivers:

Retrospect v7.0.326

RDU 7.0.7.101

Windows XP SP2 with all of the latest windows updates

I am not using the RAID controller for either SATA or PATA channels, but have the driver and NVRaid application loaded. I had to load the NForce 4 controller driver using the 'F6' command and a floppy during the build process or Windows wouldn't see the SATA drive. I had the option to load the controller driver and RAID driver or any combination of the two. I chose to load only the controller driver since I wasn't using the RAID function.

I am able to see and use all these devices through the Windows device manager. Both hard drives show up under the 'volumes' menu. I cannot see the tape, optical, or zip drive via the 'devices' menu.

I forgot to add that I am using the following NForce 4 drivers:

NForce4 driver v6.66 with all drivers except the firewall

And I am using Gigabyte mainboard bios version F4, Adaptec 29160 bios version 3.10

Hi,

The issue has been reproduced in-house.

The Nvidia RAID driver was the culprit (as many of you suspected).

Apparently the Nvidia RAID was not responding to the standard device commands that most drives follow. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone followed the same standard ...

If you are not booted off of the RAID drive, the workaround is to disable the RAID from the BIOS.

Our engineering team is working on a possible fix for this.

Thank you all for your cooperation and patience.

Quote:

Hi,

The issue has been reproduced in-house.

The Nvidia RAID driver was the culprit (as many of you suspected).

Apparently the Nvidia RAID was not responding to the standard device commands that most drives follow. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone followed the same standard ...

If you are not booted off of the RAID drive, the workaround is to disable the RAID from the BIOS.

Our engineering team is working on a possible fix for this.

Thank you all for your cooperation and patience.

Great news! It would really be nice if everyone did follow standards!!!!

I have a comment on disabling the RAID driver in the BIOS. I have all RAID options disabled in the BIOS and it doesn't make any difference. I can't see any devices no matter what I do. I've even tried not loading the RAID driver with all RAID disabled in the BIOS and it doesn't make any difference.

Either way, I hope that the fix, when available, works for me.

Thanks for the support. appl.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My guess would be the fix will be included in the next update - and, that the update release date would not be driven by the fix for the above problem. Since the last update was 3 monhts ago, the next one is probably 'soon'. AFAIR, the previous update was ~ early May.

Same problem here, the problem started 9.26.05 or so

Windows XP pro sp2 fully updated (win32)

Respect 7.0.326 drivers - 7.0.8.103

MB Gigabyte GA K8N Pro

AMD 64 3200+

SCSI Tape drive Seagate dds3

LSI Logic 53c875

NVidia NForce 5.10

Sony DVD RW dru-510 on Pata

What else, I can't see the cdrw or most important the tape drive, all these devices work pretty within windows, burning ntbackup etc.

This is a big problem any ideas??

BTW I disabled the tape drive no change.

Quote:

Same problem here, the problem started 9.26.05 or so

Windows XP pro sp2 fully updated (win32)

Respect 7.0.326 drivers - 7.0.8.103

MB Gigabyte GA K8N Pro

AMD 64 3200+

SCSI Tape drive Seagate dds3

LSI Logic 53c875

NVidia NForce 5.10

Sony DVD RW dru-510 on Pata

What else, I can't see the cdrw or most important the tape drive, all these devices work pretty within windows, burning ntbackup etc.

This is a big problem any ideas??

BTW I disabled the tape drive no change.

Your only option now is to go into the BIOS and completely disable ALL RAID settings.

Quote:

Hi,

The following Knowledge Base article has been created for this issue:

Please contact EMC Dantz and refer to this KB article for the downloadable fix.

Thanks again for your patience.

Michael:

The update referred to in KB article 8152 solves my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

Hi,

The following Knowledge Base article has been created for this issue:

Please contact EMC Dantz and refer to this KB article for the downloadable fix.

Thanks again for your patience.

What's up with support on this????

I sit on hold, open a service request, sit on hold for almost an hour, tech support gives me an FTP address with appropriate user name and password, I then download 7.0.328 BUT it's missing a file - 'Retrospect 7.0.msi', I call support and report the missing file on the FTP site after sitting on hold for another 45 minutes, support person tells me to check back on the FTP site after 30 minutes, I check back 3 hours later and no file, I call support back and report the file is still missing and support person says they will email the file, 10 minutes later I get the file but it's the wrong one - 'Setup.exe', I respond back to the email telling them they sent the wrong file, I then get a response - "We will check into it.", now no response. Three days and this problem is still not fixed.

What the heck is the deal here!!!!!!!!! I purchase extended support and none of the support people can do anything to fix a simple problem!!!!!!!! This is unacceptable.

Sorry, we've fixed up some of the issues with downloading the updated build. If you called in to tech support prior to 12/1/2005 and were unable to install from the download, please download the file 7.0.328.zip from the same ftp site given to you. Otherwise, please contact EMC Dantz and refer to this kb article.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8152&p=2

Quote:

Sorry, we've fixed up some of the issues with downloading the updated build. If you called in to tech support prior to 12/1/2005 and were unable to install from the download, please download the file 7.0.328.zip from the same ftp site given to you. Otherwise, please contact EMC Dantz and refer to this kb article.

Thanks!!!!! That fixed it.

appl.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a brand new user, trying Retrospect after years of frustrations with BackupExec. I'd tried Retrospect three years ago, but after I found that it crashed upon seeing any USB flash drives (even if I didn't back up to them), I ran the other way. Imagine my surprise when I installed the 7.0 trial and found that it once again had trouble with my devices - this time, the existence of an nVIDIA RAID array threw it off balance.

I searched the knowledge base, but found nothing, due to a search bug I've reported to the webmasters - search for "tape found" and you'll see the article, but search for "tape devices found" and you won't.

Then I searched the forums, found this thread about KB #8152 - Saturday morning, of course. Today, Monday, I called tech support, who transferred me to trial support. Of course, the trial support guy, John, could do nothing but IM with his buddy in tech support about it, but sadly, his buddy didn't seem to be aware of the problem, even after John pointed him to the knowledge base article. He was telling me things like "Install the 7.0.10.101 driver update", and "Download the latest drivers from nvidia.com"; even John was getting a little frustrated.

Finally, John just opened me a service request, and gave me some advice: "If they can't help you with it, just keep asking to talk to someone else who can." I've now been on hold for 20 minutes, interrupted every minute by the "your call is important" announcement (which is a poor way to configure an on-hold system, as it repeatedly interrupts the listener with useless information; that's what music on hold is FOR.)

This is not a good out-of-box experience.

Wow... keeps getting better. I called back, got through entitlement to tech support, and talked to Keith D. He'd never heard of the issue before either. I gave him the knowledge base ID, and he looked it up, checked around, and sent me the FTP URL. Unfortunately, like those before me, all I got was the 224K "setup.exe" file.

I went to the site with a proper FTP client, and there is no "7.0.328.zip" file as mentioned above. There's a 7.0.328 *directory*, which contained the setup.exe link, and which I'm downloading the rest of right now... there, now I have all my devices back!

So, happy ending, but really, really sloppy handling. If I hadn't had equally bad luck with Veritas (and far worse with new owners Symantec), I doubt I'd be continuing with the trial. Does EMC/Dantz really want the motto of "We're no worse than the competition"? C'mon, guys.. there's room for a backup solution that works and works well, and Retrospect is well-positioned - other than the support.

Archived