The Ever Present 1017 Error Code-Why Me

abradaxis

I'm a standalone user running Windows SP-Home Edition. I'm the administrator, I use no passwords to log on, and don't have the program mentioned in the forum which causes the 1017 message. I'm trying to do a full backup so I can prepare an emergency restore. I do want to back up open files, but get the error message that I don't have the necessary permissions. I've readh through the various threads, but nothing seems to apply to me. Can I disable Zonealar (by physically disconnecting from the Internet, and stop Norton. Nothing else is running, and I don't allow Retrospect to start any other applications. Any suggestions would be appreciated to allow me to get a complete backup in case of computer failure, which seems to happen more frequently than ever what with disk failures, viruses, etc. Thanks in advance.

I believe that Retrospect *requires* an account with a password for login. If you don't want to set a password for the Administrator (or whatever admin-level account you're using) [since this would require you to use it on each login], set up another Admin-level account with a password. The use the Prefs->Security tab in Retrospect to tell it to run as this user.

And this would be the user I set up with a password? So my computer would start up and blow past any password screen (as it does now), and I would only have to go to the prefs security screen and then log in as the "administrator" user with a password? Sounds good to me if I understand it and it works. Let me know if I have it right, and thanks for the prompt reply.

Hi

It sounds like you get a 1017 error when trying to run a backup of open files? If so, the password doesn't make a difference.

Take a look at the Windows event logs. Do you see any errors related to the Windows shadow copy service? (VSS)

Thanks

Nate

I intended to try the password solution at work (Windows XP Pro) instead of home (XP Home Edition), but when I looked at the logs at work, I discovered that there were no problems in the log on previous backups, and no 1017 errors. So, assuming the password is the problem, I have to try this test on the home PC. However, regarding the shadow copy log, how do I find it? I have examined the Adminitrator Tools, but can't find anything related to a shadow copy log. Where should I look for it please, and why do you think it works at my office PC, but not at home? Both have one user, who obviousy workd as the administrator.

Thank you for your continued support, which is much appreciated.

That gives me three logs, the Application, Security, and System Logs. Specifically, what am I looking for that I can correct or find out what is wrong in that it causes me to get the 1017 error? I certainly appreciate your help, but could you be a little more complete in your answers. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Two days ago my scripted backup started having this 1017 error, never received previously. I did replace one of my hard drives a few days ago, but the 1017 error was reported for both the new drive and the drive I did not replace, so not sure if it is related to that. I'm running XP and Retrospect 7 on a single computer. My Windows event log does show the volume shadow copy service errors (mentioned by natew) for that period. When i clicked the Microsoft help for the VSS it said no help was available. Any clue of what to do?

The event viewer says: Event 12303. Source: VSS. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly. For more information see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp When I went to the given link it states, "There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time."

Hi

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. If you search google for VSS errors you will see you are not alone. VSS errors seem to come up in all kinds of software. You may need to talk to Microsoft about this.

You could disable the open file backup feature in Retrospect to get rid of the errors but then you would get errors on open files instead.

Thanks

nate

Archived