Fujitsu DynaMO 1300SF with Prof. 7

Aemetz

My MO drive Fujitsu 1300SF is not indicated in Retrospects "device" folder and cannot be used.

The MO drive is connected to my PC using a SCSI->USB adaptor. It works fine under W2K Prof., i can access, read and write from/to the drive.

Although full compatibility is reported by Dantz hardware database it doesn't work with my PC. With former versions of Retrospect it worked well.

Any idea?

Thx for help!

Okay, natew, I will try whether it works or not.

If it doesn't work, I will refrain.

However, I don't find it "normal" that a physically existing drive properly detected by the OS is not shown. Can you explain me for what reason the MO drive is (no longer) displayed in the "device" menu? frown.gif

Bye

Aemetz

Hi

The only items that are listed in the device window are devices that Retrospect must load a driver for. i.e. tape drives and CD/DVD drives.

All disks like hard disks, MO, Zip, Jaz are treated like plain old disks. "backup devices" so to speak. This makes disk backup sets more flexible so you can mix and match disk types in a single backup set.

Thanks

Nate

Hello,

Yesterday I made a test by trying to access a backup set on a MO disk created with Retrospect Version 6.5 by using the "Restore"-Function.

I failed, as Retrospect did not find the MO drive.

What am I doing wrong? Is your comment only valid for newly created backups? How to access old ones?

Thanks in advance

Aemetz

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

it took me longer to answer, because I was too busy.

I couldn't find the catalog file of that backup set I wanted to restore.

If I browse in Windows explorer I see one single file named "retrospect.???" with a file size of slightly bigger than 600 MB (on a 640 MB MO disk). The backup was made with Retrospect 5.6, not with 6.5 as I stated previously.

I have tested to create a new backup on an empty MO drive with 7.0 using the "script" mode.

It worked well.

The only item which remains open to me is to restore "old" backups, e.g. backups made with 5.6 or 6.5. I will try to create catalog files out of the physically existing backup.

Best regards

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I have tried to restore two a backups, the first one created with Retrospect V.5.6 and the second one with V.6.5.

Retrospect V7.0 was unable to create a catalog file out of the backup information as the MO disk was not detected. It always ends at the selection of the backup media type. If I select disk (not tape or CD/DVD), Retrospect V7.0 do not recognize the MO disk.

What else can I do? Reinstall old version and test it with this?

Hello,

The MO drive was connected using the SCSI->USB adapter.

But if the connector makes problems, why am I able to backup on that drive under same conditions with Version 7.0?

What do you recommend? I have a SCSI adapter card at home to which I can connect the MO drive instead of using the SCSI-to-USB-adaptor. Shall I install the SCSI card, connect the MO drive by a native SCSI cable and make trials with this native SCSI connection?

Hello,

I have done some more tests yesterday. Mainly, I replaced the USB-SCSI-adaptor by a native SCSI controller.

The results are as follows:

• 1. Behaviour under W2K is the same: the MO disk drive is shown, the MO disk can be read

2. Behaviour under Retrospect 7.0 remains unchanged: the MO drive is detected, but it is impossible to recreate/rebuild a new backup set from the MO disk. I have tested several MO disks with different backups.

My next steps will be:

• 1. Create a completely new backup with destination "MO disk" and check if it works

2. Remove Retrospect V7.0 and reinstall old version (5.6 and/or 6.5) and check whether backup MO disks can be read.

I will report the results.

I'm convinced that the USB-to-SCSI-adaptor doesn't create the problem, but the new version of Retrospect V7.0 is not downwardly compatible with older versions, e.g. Retrospect Express 5.6.

Regards

Aemetz

Hi

Thank you for checking all of this.

From 5.6 to 7 the way Retrospect deals with removeable disks has changed. 7.0 should work with the MO with a newly created backup set. It should also be backward compatible with older backup sets.

If your tests fails please let me know.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

7.0 should work with the MO with a newly created backup set.

I did not yet test a newly created backup set using a MO disk but an external harddisk.

I will do the MO disk test and reply asap.

Quote:

It should also be backward compatible with older backup sets.

It doesn't work - definitively!

Dantz should check this using the same environment as I did.

If I have time in the near future I will make screen shots of the different futile (useless) trials.

I spent hours in desperately trying to restore files from old backup sets. frown.gif

By the way: The European Support was not very friendly to me - they pretended a lack of understanding of OS on my side. mad.gif

I will keep you informed.

Best regards

Aemetz

Hi,

Please try the following:

1. Open Retrospect 7.0 and type "ctrl+alt+p+p" to bring up the secret preferences.

2. Under Execution, uncheck the box next to "Don't instantiate old Removable Volumes driver".

3. Exit out of Retrospect and relaunch.

Please let us know if you are still unable to see the MO volume.

Thanks for your information, michaeln,

Meanwhile, I have uninstalled Retrospect Prof. 7.0 and reinstalled Retrospect Express 5.6 with which I have made one of the backups.

The restore process for the backup set ran without any problem - MO drive was detected directly!

Following this, I will restore backup files of all backup sets created with 5.6 and then uninstall 5.6 and reinstall 7.0 again and check your proposal.

I will mail a feedback when done.

Regards

Aemetz

Archived