Restoring Mac files to a Windows computer

NillaGoon

I'm surprised this isn't a more common question, but I'm not seeing any similar threads...

I'm running Retrospect 6.5 on a Windows XP machine and was able to back up files over the network from a MacOS 8.1 machine using Retrospect Client 5.1. I'm really using this as a file transfer mechanism more than anything else - I'd like to just back up the Mac and junk it, but be able to access the files in the backup set in the future from Windows.

My question: what is the format of the Mac files when I restore them from the backup set directly to the Windows machine? Just looking at the data, they do seem to have a Mac header, but none of my decoding programs recognize them as AppleSingle or MacBinary. Is there some other encoding system that Retrospect is using?

Hi

If you restore the files to a windows disk the resource fork will be lost/invalid. Many files will still work without the resource fork so that isn't a huge problem.

Files that require a valid resource fork must be restored to a mac filesystem/disk.

Thanks

Nate

Archived