"Forget" = _delete_? Files missing on client workstations

lapoole

Hi -

I've searched Dantz' knowledge base for "known program faults," but I'm unable to find any mention of the problem my customer experienced last week. Can anyone tell me if this is a known fault, and if there's a known solution?

Retrospect 6.5 running on Windows server, backing up c. 10 Mac OS X workstations (each with Retrospect client installed).

Customer tried to make an immediate backup (not by running an existing script, but by creating a new one). Customer, working on server computer, identified files on client workstations that do _not_ need to be backed up and told Retrospect to "forget" these files (applications, music & pictures, etc.) Before backup was executed, "forgotten" files were found to have been deleted from client computers.

Seems like this must be a bug... why would Retrospect _ever_ want to delete remote files before backing them up? User error? I wasn't there to observe, but this customer's pretty computer-savvy.

Any documentation or advice you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen

Hi

Retrospect for mac does have a "delete from disk" Option available in the file selection browser. However it sounds like this user is using Retrospect for Windows?

Is there any way you can have the user show you exactly what they did?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Retrospect for mac does have a "delete from disk" Option available in the file selection browser. However it sounds like this user is using Retrospect for Windows?

Apparently she's using Retrospect on a Windows server to back up her Mac OS workstations, so it's a matter of Retrospect for Windows controlling retrospect clients of Mac OS.

I wonder ifthere could be a bug, whereby the Windows apolication incorrectly calles the Mac client's "delete from disk" feature?

I'll inquire further; maybe she can reproduce, or better clarify what she did.

Thanks!

-Allen

Archived