-1127 Cyclic Redundancy error

mwobrien

Using v6.5 on WinXP for quite some time to back up local C drive and a remote computer to a local external hard drive. No problems until suddenly this week. It will open and scan my local disk and then refuse to back it up. It says 'error -1127, file data error using cyclic redundancy check'. It goes on to back up the remote computer without a problem, but ignores my local C drive. I've been unable to find a fix to this. I presume there's an error somewhere on my C drive, but I have no idea where. My computer otherwise works fine. Anyone with ideas? Thanks.

My guess is that this may be something to do with the catalog file for the C: drive backup.

Perhaps the first step to identifying this as the cause would be to try browsing the contents of the backup set which if successful may indicate that the catalog is intact.

If not and if the backup set has not been changed since the last successful backup you might try repairing the catalog file....

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried completely erasing the target back up drive (external USB drive) and starting over with a brand new back up set. No go. Same error.

I tried running scan disk. It runs through phase 1 and gets mostly through phase 2 and then quits. It says scan disk cant complete the task.

I booted from the Dell WinXP disk. Doing so causes it to automatically run a system and disk diagnostic. My computer and hard drive pass the diagnostic without error.

What next? Are other 3rd party disk repair programs any better?

thanks.

Scan Disk is amazingly silent on this point. It just says it can't do it, but doesn't explain. (A bit like some kids I've met.)

So I'm clear on the point...I erased the external hard drive and reformatted. I did not erase the C drive in my computer. I think it's the C drive having problems though. Scan Disk fails to scan the C drive. Scan disk is fine scanning the external drive (to which I store my back up files). I wondered if scan disk doesn't like to scan the active boot drive (or something like that). So, I then booted from the original Dell WinXP install CD. The Windows XP installation CD also scanned my C drive (when I booted from the CD) and found no errors on the C drive.

Also, strangely, I was able to back up my C drive "Documents and Settings" folder to an external DVD today. It showed the exact same -1127 error, but Retrospect decided to go ahead and back it up anyway. I got the vast majority of the files just fine. During the DVD set backup it said there were 4 execution errors.

I went and tried to delete the offending 4 files later. (Surprisingly challenging, since they were all hidden.) After this, I again tried the script to backup to the external USB drive. Again, error -1127. This time, again, Retrospect stops and won't back up anything on my C drive. If it wasn't so frustrating, it would be incredibly funny. It think it's possessed. Erasing the C drive and reinstalling everything might be the final solution. (Ugh! there goes my Saturday.)

Hi

For most purposes Scan disk is a fairly lame utility. It is good preventitive medicine against disk corruption but can't do much after a failure. However the fact that it fails completely to scan your C drive is a good indication of a major problem with the disk.

I think the reinstall is a good idea but I would also replace the hard drive. It isn't all that expensive and will give you some peice of mind.

Thanks

nate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been getting the following error for the past few days, during which time *no* backups have been run successfully.

+ Normal backup using SWPC2_Full_Server_Odd at 11/27/2005 12:16 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set SWPC2_Full_Server_Odd...

- 11/27/2005 12:16:00 PM: Copying DRIVE_C (C:)

Scanning incomplete, error -1127 (data error detected in file using cyclic redundancy check)

using

+ Retrospect version 7.0.326

+ Retrospect Update, version 7.0.9.103

I looked it the error in the Knowledgebase:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.2187158

This error usually indicates either a corrupted file or a corrupted sector of the disk that Retrospect is trying to read from or write to.

If the corruption is not severe, running a Scan Disk on the source and/or destination volume will usually fix the problem.

--

I also found several threads (including this one) in the forum on this error and possible solutions, mostly involving running scandisk or chkdsk. I ran "chkdsk /r" on all drives on the system and was then able to run a full (recycle) backup without any errors.

========================

Now, with that out of the way, let me post my *requirements* for this kind of error message.

1) It is *required* that Retrospect specify *which* file (name and location, on which drive) is showing the CRC error (e.g. and clearly show whether it's on the source or destination drive, the catalog or backup file, a system or user file, etc.). At a minimum, this allows the user to focus on which drive and/or file is having a problem.

2) As an unattended backup program, it is *required* that Retrospect continue with the other gazillion files that are *not* showing a CRC error. It's ridiculous to stop on this error and not backup anything else when it's undoubtedly possible to backup most of the remaining files. If the CRC error is so catastrophic that the drive is unusable, then it should say so in the error message. However, it's obviously *not* since I was able to run Windows, surf, email, access all drives in my system, etc. In this case, an error message showing which "file" couldn't be backed up is sufficient.

Hi

The trouble with file scanning errors is that they generally corrupt the entire list of scanned files. That makes it impossible to provide the name of the problem file or to continue on and work around the problem file.

If the corruption occurs in an area of the disk that you don't normally use it is quite possible that the machine would work normally otherwise.

In general I find the log does at least give a vague indication of where the problems are located. In your case I suspect it is the source disk.

Agreed the reporting should be better but I think this is one of those errors that knocks down the whole house of cards so to speak. It's tough to log the cause in a meaningful manner.

Thanks

nate

For several backups in a row, I was getting the "error -1127 (data error detected in file using cyclic redundancy check)" message mixed in with some other errors, but the backups ran to completion. I didn't include those log messages in my original post.

However, for several backups after that (before I happened to check the log), I got *only* "Scanning incomplete, error -1127 (data error detected in file using cyclic redundancy check)" So Retro *had* been able to run backups despite *some* -1127s but then decided that this later -1127 was worse and it couldn't run at all.

A more explicit error message (which file or a better clue as to the nature of the HD error) would have helped diag this, both when the backup *was* able to run and when it finally failed completely. It Retro really *can't* name a file, perhaps the error message needs to be changed--dangling "error detected in file" (sounds like just one or a few corrupted files) vs. "error detected on disk" (still owe me some details) misleads the user as to the nature of the error.

Archived