"Duplicate activator code"

Hi there

I've installed retroclient-65.rpm on Fedora Core 3. Server is 6.0.212 on OSX Panther 10.3.9.

The client software appears to be running OK on the Linux box and when I browse the network on the server for Linux clients, it shows up. However when I try to log in to the Linux client from the server, I get a dialogue box saying "Can't log in, error 506 (duplicate activator code)".

In the document "Retrospect User's Guide" for this error code it says "Update the client software to version 5.1 or later (MacOS) or 6.5 or later (Windows)". It doesn't mention Linux, and I can't find any reference to more recent Linux client software updaters than 6.5 on the Dantz site or in this forum.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

For anybody who's reading and interested, it seems this was because there is more than one IP address to which the Linux box responds. Presumably the client view on the server is viewed by IP. You can fix the client to use a single IP by specifying it using the -ip option on the casll to $CLIENTDIR/retroclient -daemon in the startup script /etc/rc.d/init.d/rcl. Hope this helps somebody.

I'm not so sure that multiple IPs is the issue here. I've installed the latest version of the client that I have (I can't remember if it is v6.5 or v7), but it handled multiple IPs without any fussing around on Fedora Core 3 and Suse Enterprise 8. But, at least it is working for you now.

I think Igor is correct here. You can look at the optional switches on Linux by running 'retroclient --help'.

I've seen the same problem on a Windows computer. The retroclient has the same options there. If you choose to use the 'ip' option, put it in your RCL file so it's called at boot, which is what it sounds like Igor did.

I have also seen retroclient work on a computer with multiple NIC's and not need to be bound also.

Archived