Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1

Hmm, I just updated my remote server to WK2003 SP1 also and that one uses single server R7.0249 and ever since the update it refuses to back up the shared drive E, although it backs up the NOT shared drive C ok.

The 19,000+ messages that I get all look like this:

File "E:\BVPROJECTS\BV1DOWN.TXT": can't read, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

Fortunately, these files are all quite readable with normal software (e.g, notepad, acadLT, etc)

Unfortunately, nothing is being backed up on the shared drive, which annoys users just a smidge. Funny, new homestarruner clip about backups (the new 'biz cas fri' clip) by the by. SB: "I thought 'backup your files' was just a figure of speech" smile.gif

I realize none of my comments help you much, but the bottom line appears to be that R7 is not playing nicely with SP1.

Matt Dwyer

Was it working before Service Pack 1? I have 7.0.326 installed on Windows 2003 w/SP1 with no problems.

What kind of devices do you have hooked up to the machine? Does temporarily removing the configuration files help? They are located in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect and are called config70.dat and config70.bat. Move these, as well as any other config* files to the desktop and try launching Retrospect to see if it gets past the splash screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Help!

I'm having problems getting Retrospect to run properly on Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1. Are there any know issues with SP1? Retrospect just hangs and memory and CPU just spike up, 1.2GB! Only way to end it is to kill it in the task manager.

Retrospect ran fine until I upgraded to SP1. Now it just hangs. I was using Retrospect 6.5 along with a Travan drive. And tried the new 7.0, but it didn't make any difference, it still hangs.

Anyone has any clue whats going on?

Quote:

GNature,

Does the hang occur just when you launch Retrospect or when you actually try a backup? If you look at the process list is Retrospect the one using all the CPU or is it something else?

Thanks

Nate

It doesn't hang after launch, but hangs after I try to click on any of the options on the left panel, such as scheduling, execution, history, tools, etc. With Task manager opened, I can see the Retrospect.exe process jumps up to 700MB or more in memory usage and about 80% CPU usage. And Retropect window would just lock up, and I have to kill it in the task manager. The only drive I have connected is the Seagate Travan USB2 drive. Any ideas whats causing this?

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

GNature,

Is this a Dell server with a virtual DVD/CD device?

What have you specified in the Retrospect preferences under security? Have you selected a user or chosen logged in user?

Thanks

Nate

No, its not a Dell server and there are no virtual devices. System specs are:

Intel P4 2.66Ghz

Intel Motherboard, D915GEV

Onboard Video/Audio/Gigabit LAN

Corsair 1GB DDR

Seagate SATA and PATA drives

Seagate Travan External USB2 Tape Drive

Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1

As for the security settings, its on default at "Run Retrospect as the logged-in user"

ok, I feel stupid.

All along I knew two things that are true:

1. Retrospect was working fine before Service Pack 1 was installed.

2. Retrospect stopped working after installation of Service Pack 1.

Yet, till just now that I tried running Retrospect.exe and Retrorun.exe as Compatibility mode as Windows 2000. Everything works now like it did before SP1 was installed. I tried running them as WindowsXP compatibility mode and it didn't work. But works as Windows 2000 Compatiblity mode. For those that don't know what Compatibility modes are, get properties on the executables and you'll see it.

Quote:

Hi

Retrospect should run as a native application in 2003. I have a 2003 SP1 server here that runs fine with no special settings.

Thanks

Nate

Well, the microsoft site also lists Retrostpect as SP1 compatible, but in my case, it just won't run. I have no idea why. But after setting to Windows 2000 compatibility, it runs without a problem. So go figure... doh.gif

Hi

I wonder if it has anything do with your Travan drive.

Retrospect does a cursory device scan upon launch and I have seen it hang when there are problems with attached backup devices.

Have you tried unplugging the Travan drive and then tried launching Retrospect?

Perhaps a new Windows device driver was installed with the SP1 update?

Hello.

Any other options for this problem except the compatibility properties change?

I have the same problem (not sure if it relates to SP1). Here is what happens:

1. Brand new hard drives in the server.

2. Installed Windows Server 2003 Standard from scratch, updated with SP1.

3. After receiving my Retro license codes installed it from the CD I received. All done successfully.

4. Even on first use, it froze, before even the screen for the license code appears.

5. Restart of the server to get out of there (task manager couldn't kill it), Add/Remove Programs to remove Retro 7. Installed the latest from the website, 7.0.326.

6. Same thing, on first use, freezing.

After finding this topic I also tried the compatibility change to Windows 2000, it didn't help for me. Still the same situation.

Really could use some help. Thanks. smile.gif

Darko.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi

I wonder if it has anything do with your Travan drive.

Retrospect does a cursory device scan upon launch and I have seen it hang when there are problems with attached backup devices.

Have you tried unplugging the Travan drive and then tried launching Retrospect?

Perhaps a new Windows device driver was installed with the SP1 update?

One of the things I did to trouble shoot the problem was to remove the travan drive, and all other devices. But it didn't help. The same problem ocurred. To this day, I have no idea what is causing it. But whatever it is, windows 2000 compatible fixed it. I've been backing a lot of data without problems ever since.

Regarding SP1 in Windows 2003, I have another Windows 2003 Server with SP1, and just installed Retrospect just to test, and it ran without problems, no need to set windows 2000 compatibility mode. Of course, this server has completely different hardware than the previous server. So it bizarre that it has problems on one machine but not the other. But the important thing is there are work arounds for either problems.

Archived