"Catalog out of sync" errors no matter what we do.

digital.forest

The problem: A new setup of Multi-Server 7.0.301 on Windows 2003 Standard, with a VXA Packetloader. Any time a backup runs, Retrospect stops with a "catalog out of sync" error BEFORE any data is written to the tape(s).

Environment:

Win2003 SE, up-to-date patches. Retrospect MS 7.0.301. VXA Packetloader 10 tape library, FW VXA-2a 2105.

23 gigs of free disk space where the catlogs roam.

No, the tapes are NOT set to read-only.

Backing up 3 network clients and the local disk on the backup server.

Sequence of events:

Proactive backup. Client says "ready". Backup starts. First volume scans. "Building catalog"...pause..."Locating"... pause... "please wait" ... Barfs up "Catalog out of sync" error. Repair Catalog according to error message directions. Resume proactive backup. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

The catalog(s) in question grow/s each time, but no data *ever* gets backed up. The error comes after the volume is scanned but before data gets written to the tapes.

Tried/Failed:

Repair existing.

Rebuild from tape.

Create new backup set(s) [gave up after 5 tries or 5 new backup sets]

Proactive & Immediate.

Tried different tapes.

I don't think this is a tape issue, as it does this with virtually any tape I throw at it.

No matter what I do, this error comes up and stops any backup attempt I make.

So you can't get the first backup to work without getting the error? What I've seen is that with an erased tape, if you perform a new backup, the first backup will work successfully. Any subsequent backups to this backup set will give the catalog out of sync error.

It says that you're running 7.0.301, what update version are you running?

>>So you can't get the first backup to work without getting the error?

Correct. It "scans" the volume, presents a total "remaining" but always "0 completed" when the error happens. It makes no sense to me because there really shouldn't be any significant data in the catalog yet anyway.

Hi,

There is a known bug with Retrospect and the Firewire Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1U Packetloaders regarding catalog out of sync errors when performing an incremental backup after the initial backup. This will be fixed in the next Retrospect Driver Update release.

Even though you are seeing this error on the initial backup, it may be related to the same bug.

I would recommend contacting Dantz Technical Support.

There is a known bug with Retrospect and the Firewire Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1U Packetloaders regarding catalog out of sync errors when performing an incremental backup after the initial backup. This will be fixed in the next Retrospect Driver Update release.

Thanks. Any hint as to when that next RDU will ship?

I would recommend contacting Dantz Technical Support.

I have been trying to avoid that if possible. During the year I had a support contract, (but only had to call them once) it was fine, but my experience when OUTSIDE of a contract to date has been *horrible*. In this instance I'm not even the license holder... merely the colo facility. I have no idea if the client has a support contract (I doubt it though.) I really don't want to jump through a lot of hoops, explain the situation about me not being the lic. holder, calling on behalf of a client, etc, forking out money, waiting for call backs... explain to several people the nature of my problem, explain all the steps I've gone through so far, get told to try them all again, watch them fail (again), then only to be told, "That's a bug, wait for the next RDU." (if that is indeed the case.)

Archived