Sign in to follow this  
jacobkball

Can't use Open File Backup - error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Hello to all smile.gif

I am a new user to Retrospect, and this problem is close to making me tear my hair out!! Every time I try to back up files, it generates the error:

Can't use Open File Backup option for <volume name> on Local Disk (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

I have set up in Preferences to run as the specified user. I entered the details that I use to log into Windows XP (yes, it's an account that has computer administrator privileges).

I have disabled System Restore (as I somewhere else that this may help).

I've tried uninstalling it, and reinstalling, to no avail.

I'm really at a loss here, as I can't understand why it is causing that error - can someone please help?!!

Many thanks in advance,

Jacob

Hi

Look at the Windows event log, do you see any errors in regard to VSS?

That is the service Retrospect uses to back up open files. If it is not working properly open file backup will fail.

Thanks

Nate

Remarkable.... this problem has been bothering me for days, so I finally posted, and what do you know - I've got it figured out!!

I had to look in the Windows Event Viewer, and I could see errors like:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

I then opened up the Services console, and I had to manually start the COM+ Event System, and the COM+ System Application.

Lo and behold, I was able to do a backup without getting the dreaded 1017 error!!

I have no idea why I had to manually start these services, and hopefully they will work properly after a reboot, but at least I know what needs to be done now smile.gif

I bet you guys love it when people post support requests, then answer their own question!

Cheers

Jacob

Yeah...this has been a very common problem with open file backup Jacob. I've been having this on a number of systems and it's been annoying the heck out of me. I figured it had to do with one of Windows' services since our machines wouldn't start showing the problem until we eliminated some 'unnecessary' services.

I'm going to give your solution a try!

Good luck with it, Intricate smile.gif

I ran a scripted backup last night, which worked properly for the first time, so that's one big thing I can cross off my list!