Incremental backs up too much

If your using Retrospect 5 on OS X you might be able to mount an ASIP Server via SMB.

This might bypass the OS X AFP time problem. I havn't tried this myself. I upgraded my ASIP Server to an OS X Server for my solution.

The only problem I can see with SMB is it is slow. About as slow as an AppleTalk only mount.

Eric

I installed the 10.1.5 update, and tested the changing creation/mod date problem, and it's still there. 10.1.5 doesn't fix it.

Is there away to work around this problem in Retrospect? Something like an archive bit we can check to see if a file has been modified? Anything to avoid having to do multiple Gigs of backup everynight.

For the ASIP server, or other Mac OS volumes, use the Retrospect client.

For the SNAP server, there isn't an easy workaround at this time.

One option would be to create a custom selector to back up only files that have not been backed up since X date and time. To do this, you need to go into the options for your script, and, under Source, check the option to set source FILE'S backup time. You can then experiment with various selectors that use backup date as a criterion. Make sure you use the Check Selector feature to be sure that you're getting what you want!

Since selectors do pose a risk of not getting the data that you need if they are not set up correctly, this isn't the best approach. In situations where it is impossible to use the Retrosepct client, it may help to alleviate the problem.

Can you run Retrospect 5.0 on a Mac running OS X Server? I can't find anything that actually says this is ok. Would this help the date/time problem?

After a 5.0 backup, I checked my log file, and it didn't identify the clients the same way as Retrospect 4.3. It says "Copying $[*!s302,,14,+3] Retrospect Folder on Macintosh HD" The old log for a 4.3 backup says "Copying (folder icon) Retrospect Folder on Macintosh HD.

I've since switched back to 4.3 because I can't afford a $100(Cdn) AIT tape every two days to back up my data. The backups aren't incremental in 5.0, they're pretty well the whole server, with the exception of the OS 9 clients. It seems it's just the OS X server that's causing my problem (and a lot of other people's, from the sounds of it).

Paul

The problems that most users are reporting are only with shared volumes. Using the client should prevent these problems.

Yes, you can run Retrospect Workgroup or Server on an OS X Server machine. If you have Retrospect Server, you can also opt to install a client on the Server and back it up from another OS 9 or OS X machine running Retrospect 5.0.

Archived