Backing up .pst files

I occasionally get error while backing up .PST files

(* if i close outlook it will back up properly. but it does not always have to be shut down )

Also when running retrospect 6.5.35 if i have Outlook open it will try to open again or freeze outlook to where i must shut down and reopen

I'm having the exact same issue. It's a concern, becuase I just purchased Open File Backup in order to backup .pst files on users who have outlook open at the time.

I assumed using Open File backup would rectify this issue but it did not.

Jeff

Hi

The open file backup option should resolve the issue on any Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 machine running on NTFS formatted disks.

The locked range conflict just means the file is in use and cannot be backed up.

The script options have a setting that will forcefully close outlook and reopen it after backup.

Thanks

Nate

I'm using Open File backup however, for some reason, it doesn't work with some of the clients (error -1017). As a result, their .pst files do not get backed up.

This seems to be a common error/conflict with the Open File Backup and some Windows' services, however, Dantz doesn't seem able to address this issue anywhere.

Hi

Look at the system logs of the machines that are giving the 1017 error. You will see errors in regard to the Volume Shadow Copy service. This is the Windows service Retrospect uses to do open file backup. If that service fails, so will open file backup.

The only resolution is to fix the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service on the problem machines. After that Open file backup will work perfectly.

Thanks

Nate

Archived