You do not have sufficient access privileges

i'm running 10.3.9 on a PB G4 with Retrospect 6.0.204, Driver 6.3.102

I am the only user.

When I duplicate a PB G3 over ethernet to a subvolume on an external firewire drive (GM BU-1A) connected to my G4, something changes the ownership.

Specifically if, I try to open the external FW hard drive I get the following message:

The folder "GM BU-1A" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges

Get Info shows the owner as system with No Access.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you

- Are you getting the error when you try to open the shared volume (on the Powerbook), or are you getting the error when you stroll over to the G4 and try to open it there?

The Get Info dialog box should contain a small lock icon next to the owner name; click this lock and change ownership to you, then change access to read write (you'll be prompted to authenticate). You could then change owner back to System (leaving access corrected), if you want, but since you're the only user it probably doesn't matter.

sorry for the above post - safari sent it when i don't even know what i did

summary -quickly typed excuse typos

it happenns feom the pb g4

the bu/dup runs ok but when i double click on the disk i get the message

no file sharin on the pb g3 and none on the pb g4

only one user on the g4- me

i understand how to change ownership back - but what i want to know is why retro changes it in the first place

it is a very dangerous thing for a sw product to change the ownwrship of and entire disk drive w/o any notice

and it is a royal pain to have to go back anbd change it everytime i run retro

espoecaily when the "apply to enclosed folders" can take hours

so my question is

why

why

why

does retrospect change the ownersghip of an exr\ternal fw hard drive to wich i've done a duplicate?

why

why

why

and, and, please, please stop it - i don't change the ownership of your disks when i pay you for your sw - so don't change the ownership of my disks when i use your sw.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

With OSX/Unix you can have cases where Retrospect copies the files from one machine to another and then you don't have access to them on the destination machine. This is 100% normal and Retrospect is working correctly.

The reason is this:

OSX/Unix uses the same sequential user IDs on each machine. User number 500 is root, 501 is the next user and so on. If you copy files from one machine user 501 to another machine user 502 there is a possibility that they will not be readable without changing permissions.

So to answer "why", Its OSX - that's why.

Retrospect is just doing what it is designed to do. Accurately copy files and the attributes of files.

Have you considered using the OSX option to ignore permissions on the destination drive? That will resolve it for good.

Thanks

Nate

• 5 months later...

Nate,

I am running into the same problem on my G5 running Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 with Retrospect version 6.1.126. My problem is that if I just click on the drive name from Finder, I get the error msg "The folder (foldername) could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges." There's no opportunity for me to click on the "Get info" icon.

Is there a way to correct the permission flag via a UNIX line command or some other method?

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. I saw your suggestio to ignore permissions. Do you happen to know what "Ignore ownership on this volume" actually does when it's checked?

One addition to my previous email. The "insufficient access privileges" message comes after I have done a full backup of a Lacie 1T drive to LCO3 tape (three of them, 400/800G). I have a good backup, but now I cannot access the original Lacie 1T drive that I backed up!

Jon

Quote:

The "insufficient access privileges" message comes after I have done a full backup of a Lacie 1T drive to LCO3 tape

That's a pretty bare bones description of what you're doing.

Are you reporting that you have just one machine, and that you are doing just a backup, and that a drive on the machine then becomes unaccessable?

Please provide a step by step description of what you're doing, and what you're seeing when you do it. One would think that some sort of writing (Duplicate or Restore) would need to be involved for this problem to be seen.

Dave

Archived