Readding a new OS client to OS9 server.

We run a Mac OS 9 version of Reterospect 5.0.xxx. All of of backup clients are Mac OS X machines. One of these machines I cannot seem to add to a new backup set that's been created because I cannot login to the machine. I don't get a user prompt for it, just the password box. Despite entering the current password for it, Reterospect can't login to the machine and connect to the backup client software.

The problem I believe is that the system has been renamed half a dozen times, and the root user has also been renamed a couple of times as well. I've changed everything back to what I thought was the correct settings but still can't get in. The client name in Configure->Clients->Add Clients is one of the old names for the machine.

Is there a caching problem somewhere? How do I resolve this? It seems I cannot Forget the machine as it's not actually part of the backup client set. Right now it's just a machine listed on the network I cannot login to.

I had this issue, and it turned out to be that I had another instance of Retro client installed on the OSX client in question. I don't remember if it was the old one, from under OS9, or just a lame install on OSX, but there is info somewhere here (sorry,don't have the link) that if you remove any and all of the RETRO install info, and then do a clean install according to instructions provided by the proper client, it cleared up my issue which was precisely the symptoms you are describing.

Hope that helps.

Schmelkus

Archived