Test Restore Exchange Container without disabling running Exchange Server

Running Retrospect 6.5.350 on W2K SP4 we are backing up the Exchange InfoStore. I would like validate the backup copy, and our recovery process, and need some guidance of doing this.

It appears normal operational limits will only restore the Exchange DB over the running server, which is simply unacceptable.

What is needed is a way to validate the backup and restore process without overwriting the running server.

I'd appreciate any insite on doing this.

Thanks,

Henry Christle

Hi

You can test mailbox or message restore without overwriting the live database. However the full database restore will indeed overwrite the database on the live server.

One solution would be to clone your hard drive and set up a test server that you could run the restore on. It will require some work but it will be a great test of the recovery procedure after hardware failure.

Thanks

Nate

Nate, Will a seperate Retrospect/Exchange license be required to run a test exchange server? Or can we temporarily move the current Retrospect license from live server, to the test server and back to the live server w/o loosing our configuration?

We attempted this and had a problem, wich we attributed to removing the license from the active server.

Thanks, Henry

Hi

By "move" you mean unlicense the current server and license another one right? You could move it over but you would lose the current configuration. Here is what I would do instead:

-Backup using your current configuration

-Install Retrospect on the test machine and run your test restores.

This will not interfere with your currently active backup licenses

Thanks

Nate

Archived