can't configure Sony DVD-RWQ28A in PowerMac G5 (2 x 2.7GHz)

Current PowerMac G5 (2 x 2.7GHz) is shipping with a SuperDrive that's a

Sony DVD-RWQ28A version KAS7. It uses an ATAPI connection.

It is a DVD+-RW drive.

Am using Retrospect 6.0.212 with RDU 6.3.102 on Mac OS X 10.4.1.

The drive's not yet listed as supported by Retrospect.

Have tried custom configuration with DVD+R (Memorex, 8x), DVD-R (Apple, 2x),

and CD-R (Verbatim, 52x) media to-date.

No luck. All get to "Write method 1 tests start" in the log and then sit silently

until I force quit Retrospect after a day.

Anyone have any luck with this configuration?

Hi

For some reason built in Mac drives don't often do well with auto-configuration. They generally require a driver from EMC Dantz to work.

As you likely guessed it appears the configuration is failing somewhere along the line. Generally that means the drive wasn't able to handle a command that Retrospect sent to it.

I would try DVD+RW media and see if you have better luck.

Thanks

Nate

The DVD/CD Superdrive in my G5, 2.0GHz. PPC desktop is a Sony DW-U21A (Firmware rev> AADB). Sadly even this older drive has apparently not been tested. I did an auto-config and it appears to be recognized now. Which DVD media should I try first? Is the advice generally the same: +R first, then -R, then RW?

What is the best backup plan using DVD's? I already backup the local machine above to removable HD media daily and two laptop clients weekly using an alternating 120GB drive pair (soon to be 300GB as I'm running out of room). Is DVD useful for document files (a small subset of my backup chores), or anything else? I'm not convinced that DVD would be a good idea as part of this plan. My full backup runs unattended overnight.

I have an alternative to use my old AIT2 tape, however this backup would be manual as transfers of backups from HD media is still unsupported on Mac OS X. To be efficient, I'd have to go to a tape autoloader of some kind and not really looking to make that size expenditure right now. Any other alternatives that you can suggest? I will also post this as a separate topic.

Hi

You did an autoconfigure right? What media did you use when you did it? Whatever worked there should work for your backups.

I use optical media weekly or monthly and do daily backups to hard disk. I also keep the DVD disks at another location.

As a rule I don't let my optical media backup sets get very big before starting over. DVD media just isn't as reliable as we would all hope...

Thanks

Nate

Archived