-34 Error (volume full) on new 250 GB drive!

Mac G4 running OS 9.2.2 with Retrospect 5.1.

I've got a 20 GB drive with 8 GB data that I'm trying to back up to a new Western Digital 250 GB drive in a Firewire enclosure. The execution starts; tries to write some files, but the program quits. The log error message says, "Can't add that much data to back-up set. The limit is 2.0 GB."

Is that really true? A 2.0 GB limit would make the product totally useless to me. I formatted the 250 GB drive under OS 9 and OS shows a 230 GB capacity. Erased the drive with Retrospect Tools. Also made sure that the 250 GB drive was not in the set that I wanted to back up (from)

Please advise - thank you!

I back up much more than that every night to tape, so I don't know what is causing your error, but it's not because a storageset volume has a 2GB limit, because that isn't the case. My SDLT Tapes hold 160GB in one member/tape, and I fill them up all the time. I've run as many as 8 DLT tapes (40GB) in a storageset at one time. Sounds like something is amiss.

I don't know about backing up to a hard disk, as I don't do that, but that shouldn't matter.

-Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but maybe this eliminates one variable for you.

-Schmelkus

Archived