-216 error suspend all backups..

on a customer's site, i am doing a backup with 3 servers and 1 exchange. the backup operation is so slow on exchange (not the topic of my post..) that the backup is still running at 9am when the secretary eject the yesterday's tape and insert the media for today (no autoeject at end of script.. off topics also..). This result on a popup message with error -216 complaining about tape unavailable. which hang retrospect unless someone hit ok.. since nobody is allowed to logon on this server, it never happend. and backup also never append after this.

I though that disabling option "notify for failures and media" would help, but it won't.

what can I do to be sure that retrospect will proceed with next backup after this kind of error?

Alain GROSS / Tera Services

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nate thank for your sugestion. I allready ask her to change the tape later, but

There is two problems.

1 - the backup is incomplete - (the third probleme is how to speed exchange messages backup)

2 - once the server pops up with error 216, no script will ever run anymore until someone clicks on the ok button !! and the console is locked. the secretary is not allowed (and does not want) to look at the server.

is there no way to program retrospect to act without interactions? or to timeout any input?

Alain GROSS / Tera Services

Hi

If a user ejects a tape while a backup is running Retrospect will complain seriously about it. It is a fatal error that will require user input to dismiss. Are there any lights on the tape drive so the secretary would know that the backup is still running?

Thanks

nate

Archived