519's Mac Server/XP Client

In the passed 2 weeks my Windows XP clients have become the posted child for 519 errors.

I have about 10 clients that I can not back-up. The XP machines have auto updates turned on from Microsoft (so they are up to date).

They have client 6.5.136, I have un-installed, rebooted, installed and rebooted. I can login to the client, add it the server and then "Can't reserve backup client, XXXX, error 519 (network communication error")" shows when it tries to backup. The firewall on the client is off (for now).

The server is Mac OS X 10.3.9 client, Retrospect 6.0.204.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Is this happening for all of your windows clients or just some of them? Are the problem clients on a common hub/switch?

519 errors are almost always caused by something in the network environment. Bad cables, flaky switch ports, power cords too close to network cables, firewall software etc. are all possible causes.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that seems to fix this problem is reverting to 6.0 of the client.

The only change I made on an XP box was unisntall 7 client, reboot, install 6.0 client, the machine is now being backed up.

It didn't work with the 6.5 client either.

R

Hi

So every single one of your XP clients would not back up with the 6.5 or 7.0 client? If that is the case I suspect the trouble is caused by corruption in the Retrospect config files. However if the 6.0 client works that is good enough. Just make sure you have regcopy.exe set up on all your machines.

Thanks

Nate

Archived