Multi Server 7 Oddities

I just upgraded from Single Server 6.5 to Multi Server 7.0.265 (I also have the 7.0.3.101 driver update). We are using a Dell NAS running W2K3 Appliance Edition to run Retrospect and store the data locally.

After upgrading to Retrospect 7, there are problems connecting to all of the clients. The clients are running the 6.5 client. The e-mails I receive say it's a "-519" error, but when I try to "test" a client using the Live Network utility, I get a 541 (client not running) or a 530 (can't connect to client). If I manually install the 7 client, the problem is resolved.

This is a big issue because we have a large number of clients, and manually installing the client on each machine is a huge effort.

Are there any ideas on how I can fix this problem? Can I remotely install the 7 client?

Also, while proactive backup is running, the responsiveness of Retrospect is AWFUL (but only in 7 - it was fine in 6). It's set to wait to poll for 90 seconds - and the other settings were always fine in 6. How can I improve the responsiveness?

Thanks!

Bret

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Go to configure->clients and click on the update icon. This will allow you to push a client updater file to all clients on the network. No need to manually install.

FWIW this info is on page 169 of the user manual in the section entitled "updating clients".

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I overlooked this!

Do you have any advice on how to improve the responsiveness? It's still very slow. From clicking the "Stop" proactive button to the Yes/No confirmation popping up is 15 seconds. It makes it nearly impossible to perform any maintenance on the system.

Thanks,

Bret doh.gif

It's a 2.80 GHz P4 with 512MB of RAM.

It doesn't look like it's eating processor or RAM, because I can open the task manager, and watch it as I try to move around in Retrospect.

When I try to do something in Retro, the processor utilization remains under 2% and the total amount of available physical memory is 287820 K. It seems like it's more something odd in Retrospect, as compared to a lack of resources.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi

As a test, try setting the Retrospect security preferences to run as "logged in user", relaunch Retrospect and let proactive do its thing. Is it still slow?

If this speeds things up then the problem is likely related to domain authentication for the user specified in the Retrospect security settings.

Thanks

nate

Archived