Avoiding long DVD erasure times, can you?

sponnath

In trying to use my DVD-RWs, I find that Retrospect will do a full erase every time that takes very, very long. I have tried using Nero's quick erase to blank the disk but Retrospect still does that long erase. Is there any way to avoid the long erase and still be using DVD-RW? I would like to reuse my rewriteable DVDs. Unfortunately, these backups take forever, when and if they work again (still trying to get by this).

I've got to stick my, um, nose in here

to say that during most of the erase time

my dvd drive isn't really doing anything

I know that because when it's reading or writing

the friendly blue light on the front blinks

and during most of the erase period it isn't blinking

now to get it out of here, sorry

Yep, no blue light. I have to stick my ear up to the DVD player to try and hear if anything is happening. If it was erasing all the the time, I would think there would be an activity light showing it. Maybe erasing is different? Nah..... I just don't get why it takes over an hour before it does anything else. The other day, it erased the DVD, then it copied 2 Gig to it, and the next time I looked, it was erasing it again! Why would it erase the same DVD and not eject it and ask for DVD 2 or something? That's why a person gets frustrated with this. I wonder sometimes if there is any user interface or functionality regression testing these days. Not just Retrospect. I have been having fun with Paperport as well. But my Paperport is now working.

Hi

I see....

So the drive isn't just taking a long time to erase, it's just sitting there doing nothing.

Retrospect will only erase a disc when doing a recycle backup, using a new disc or when you do so manually.

Try this: Start the backup with no media loaded, then only put a disc in when Retrospect asks for it. This will guarantee that Retrospect has full control over your drive and another burning program isn't getting in the way.

Thanks

Nate

When you use Nero to quick erase the disc, Retrospect still go thru the "erasing" phase (split second) but there's no long delay.

Are you sure you weren't confusing the situation there by not refreshing the media status. You might have to eject the disc and re-insert it.

Archived