Problem Backing Up Only Changed Files

dgm0225

I run v6.5 professional, and have a daily backup to a hard disk drive. I use the default settings in my script for a "NORMAL" backup, and I know that with a script set for "NORMAL" backup mode, only changed files are suppposed to be backed up in subsequent backups after running a 'normal' script for the first time. But Retrospect is not doing this. Its seems to running a recycle backups since after each backup, the backup folder on the destination hard drive doubles in size. Checking within the backup folder reveals that ALL FILES are being duplicated in different sets each day that the backup runs.

I can't understand why this is happening since I'm sure I'm using the correct script settings for a normal backup that I've been using for 3+ years of running Retrospect. It's always worked fine; The problem only started with I upgraded to version 6.5...is there something I don't know about this version that makes scripting a normal backup different somehow?

I've tried creating new scripts and setting a new destination backup folder, but still, the same problem keeps happening.

If anyone has any insights into this, boy would they be welcomed right about now.

Thanks,

DGM

The sentence that caught my eye was:

"Checking within the backup folder reveals that ALL FILES are being duplicated in different sets each day that the backup runs."

The sentence would imply that multiple backup set destinations are being used. This being the case, the problem may be a simple misunderstanding in how Retrospect decides what needs to be copied.

Matching is the scheme for comparing file attributes to determine whether files are identical, which then allows intelligent copying to avoid redundancy. Retrospect uses several matching criteria to find new or changed files. If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will back up the file again. On Windows, Retrospect looks at creation date and time, modified date and time, size and name. If match only in same location option is set, Retrospect matches on the path, volume name and drive letter also.

Matching is only performed within the same backup set. Here's what will happen in the following scenario:

Empty backup sets:

Backup Set A

Backup Set B

On Monday you perform a normal backup to Backup Set A - everything will be backed up because Backup Set A is empty

On Tuesday you perform a normal backup to Backup Set B - everything will be backed up because Backup Set B is empty

On Wednesday you perform a normal backup to Backup Set A - Retrospect will only backup the changed files matching the current files against the files already in Backup Set A

On Thursday you perform a normal backup to Backup Set B - Retrospect will only backup the changed files matching the current files against the files already in Backup Set B

Hope that helps!

Archived