error 530 client not found

JibJab

I am running Retrospect Professional 6.5, backing up 3 computers, the host machine is Windows XP Pro SP2, one of the clients is Windows XP Home SP2, and the other client is Windows 98. Recently my router gave me problems and was dropping the network connections on all 3 machines plus an XBox that is also connected to the router. Upgrading the router's firmware has solved the problem (so far), but now the host computer can't see the clients anymore. I tried changing the network settings, went into the Properties of the TCP/IP and selected "use the following IP address", and entered the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway that each machine was using before the router problem. Retrospect still does not see the client computers, but if I type in the IP address using the test feature, it sees them, but won't access them for backup. I changed the settings back to "obtain IP address automatically". The host machine uses Norton Internet Security, and I have not changed the settings. This problem happened once before, and when I checked Norton Internet Security, there were 2 entries for Retrospect in the Programs list in Personal Firewall. One said "permit all", and the other "blocked". After changing the second one to "permit all", Retrospect worked fine, and was able to back up the clients. The XP client computer uses the Windows Firewall, but it is configured to allow Retrospect, and it worked fine until the router problem. The Windows 98 client has no separate firewall.

Thanks, I tried something else today, and it solved the problem. Just for the heck of it, I checked Windows Firewall on the host computer, and it was enabled. It's not supposed to be this way, I disabled it in order to use Norton Internet Security. After I disabled Windows Firewall, Retrospect was able to find one of the clients and back it up. I'll try the other client later. I don't know how the Windows Firewall became enabled, all I can figure is that when I downloaded a security update from Microsoft, the firewall was changed to enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived