Network backup crashes network

mattlygo

Hi there, I hope someone can help with this most annoying problem.

The setup:

Apple G4 Server running OS X Server 10.3.8 and Retrospect 5.1

Client Macs (eMac's and iMacs) running 10.3.8 and 10.2.8.

Local backup of the server to the DLT drive works with no problems. However, when Retrospect attempts to access a network client it starts ok for a few seconds, then shows the "Net Retry" message and the whole network crashes. Ping tests from all computers on the network show that no can see anyone else. Only solution is to turn off the switch and cancel the backup.

There is not much else running on the Server apart from Filemaker Server 7 software and filesharing.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Do you know if the server is getting hosed? How is your network setup (e.g. what's the gateway? Is it the same server?).

My immediate reaction is "get a new switch/gateway/router." If Retrospect or any other program can permanently hose/crash a switch/gateway/router/etc. (to the point that even pings don't work), by *definition* it's the gateway's/switch's/router's/etc. fault. For a properly designed piece of network equipment, a "rouge" app should *never* be able to permanently bring down the network.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote:

Do you know if the server is getting hosed? How is your network setup (e.g. what's the gateway? Is it the same server?).

Not sure what you mean by 'hosed' but basically none of the computers can see the others on the network. However, they do appear to be able to access the internet, and the router (gateway?) is connected to the same network switch.

Quote:

My immediate reaction is "get a new switch/gateway/router." If Retrospect or any other program can permanently hose/crash a switch/gateway/router/etc. (to the point that even pings don't work), by *definition* it's the gateway's/switch's/router's/etc. fault. For a properly designed piece of network equipment, a "rouge" app should *never* be able to permanently bring down the network.

It does seem to point that way. The switch is a few years old and does occasionally have a freak out and need to be turned off for a while. But why would it suddenly go wrong like this, and why with Retrospect only? I can't help thinking that there is an issue with the Retrospect software.

I've temporarily taken the switch out of the equation and replaced it with an old hub we had lying around. If this solves the problem I'll let you know.

Many thanks

Matt

> I can't help thinking that there is an issue with the Retrospect software.

I think a more likely answer is that Retrospect is doing something (e.g. broadcast traffic, load on the network, specific traffic behavior) that's revealing a weakness in the switch, gateway, etc. I've seen this happen with other apps & routers, where an app that puts a heavy load on a network or router is accused of breaking the router--if so, it's the *router's* fault, not the app. You can decide not to use the app but the network equipment itself is mis-designed if an app can do that to it.

Archived