For well over a year we've been using Restrsepct 5 for Mac on an OS 9 system to perform a network backup of 4 servers. The backup hardare attached is a Sony AIT DC. No hardware or software changes have been made to the system performing the backup. However over the last month+ I have started to receive "Bad backup set header" error messages. Most topics I have seen regarding this involve an OS upgrade or a hardware change. In our case there have been no changes software or hardware but am now getting this error. Sometimes as little as 17 errors to 50 errors. My question is how could I determine if it is my media that is having problems? Is there a way I can test the media itself? I have just used a cleaning tape on the tape drive and will wait for the results of tonights backup. Is there any advice as to what would be the cause of the sudden bad backup headers? Thanks so much!

Yes it does happen with other tapes. Not all tapes but some of the others. I have about 10 backups sets and I'd say about half of them are now getting this error. started with 1-2 and just continued to escalate. Haven't seen the results of last backup. It's still runing.

I went out and bought a new set of tapes and the error still happens. However I've just noticed that the error is always happening to the same volume on the same server. I don't have another device to backup to other then a external Firewire drive. Think it would be worth a shot? Can anyone make heads or tails why just that one volume keeps generating the error? I could really use some advice on this! Thank you!

Archived