I don't get it! It configured the drive half way through configuring!!!

I just don't get the Config Device proceedure at all!!

After a long time trying to get Retro Desktop v6.0.204 with driver v6.1.102 (got the v6.2 driver, not installed yet), to use my firewire Lacie DVD-RAM/-R drive, and FAILING 99% of the time to get it to recognise that there is a disk in the drive when I want to do a test backup. I've now got it to work now, by accident, of all things!!

The Config Device was doing it's thing to recognise the drive, and only got as far as 'checking media...' something or other, and then the beachball of death came over it. So I force quite Retrospect Desktop, and checked in the HD:Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ and low and behold theres now a device01.rdi file there. So I thought, hell why not try a test backup again, and see what happens. It's backing up to a DVD-RAM 9.4gig disk??!! GREAT, I thought. Now the real test is to see if it'll span it accross 2 disks.

I suppose my point is that I thought there was an entire read disk, blank disk, and finalise RDI file proceedure, to go through before a proper configuration was done!? Well if it works, that's fine by me.

Hi

DVD RAM and DVD-R are completely different media types and Retrospect handles each one very differently.

DVD-RAM should be used with a "removable disk" backup set in Retrospect. Driver configuration is not necessary.

DVD-R must be used with a "CD/DVD" backup set in Retrospect. This requires either a driver from Dantz or running the drive configuration wizard.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for pointing that out, but I always use 'removable disk' when creating a backup set, and I always use DVD-RAM. Trouble is that Retrospect 6 didn't initially recognise any DVD-RAM disks when in the drive, even when trying to get it to back some test data up!?

Perhaps in previous tests, I didn't have 'removable disk' selected when creating a backup catalogue file. I've noticed that Retrospect 6 now has 'CD/DVD' as the default type selected, I may have got caught out once or twice. I do hope it's sorted now, so I can start using v6 for my next round of full backups.

Hi

If you intend to continue with DVD-RAM, tell Retrospect to ignore the DVD-RAM drive in configure->devices->device status. This will prevent Retrospect from loading the CD/DVD driver for your drive.

Retrospect will still be able to use the DVD-RAM

Thanks

Nate

Archived