Error in Event Log about logged on as user for Retrospect...

sdube

Hi,

I have set up RB 6.5 to use a user different than the loggon user with the proper access rights (admin and backup operator) but it seems RB have problems using another account different from the loggon user (the title bar doesn't show the user name I set but my current logged on name).

I see an error in the event logs (windows) that tells that an attempt to logon as the user failed for either the name or password is incorrect. I checked and even logged in Windows as this user and it is fine. RB can't seem to use it.

I checked that my "regular" admin account is indeed part of the admin and operator group.

Config is:

Windows Small Business Server 2003

Thanks for replying to my issue.

I tried to reinput the username and password but that didn't help.

I even tried to tell RB to use the logged on user, save prefs, quit, restarts (as expected my login name is listed in the apps bar), change back the prefs for my preferred user and password, save, quit, restarts and still logged on under my login name instead of the one I specified in prefs.

Strange.

Anything else I could try?

Thank you.

Hi

When you try create a new backup set and try to save it in the "my documents" folder do you get an error? Does the file get saved where you expected it to be?

That will tell us if you are really logged in as the right user or not.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

I've created the backup set in "My Documents" and the file ended in the location of the logged on user which is what is displayed in the title bar of RS. This is "logical" I guess. I still can't have RS use another loggon user from the prefs though.

It would seems that RS is trying to use the login name I specified but fails and then reverts to the current logged on user as evidenced in the Windows event logs.

Strange as it is, that functionnality worked before and I saw the specified user name on the RS title bar. I can't recall exactly but I guess that the problem happened when we upgraded our server from Windows Server 2000 SBS to Windows Server 2003 SBS. It is my understanding that W2K3 is more "secure" than 2K.

What do you suggest to do next?

Thank you

What are you entering in the 'Log on to' field? This value needs to either be the computer name or the domain name (if on a domain).

Also, go into your Services and get properties on the Retrospect Launcher Service. Make sure the service is set to use the "Local System Account" -- and not a specified user. If changes need to be made to the Retrospect Launcher service you must first stop the service, make the changes then start the service again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sigh!

Tried that and no success there either.

Even tried to create a brand new user with, again, all admin rights. Same thing happens.

Is it possible to have RS report FROM the application what is the error when the loggin fails?

I have the same problem as Stécy, except I don't see any error in the windows log.

Whatever account I use as the 'always use this account' won't be used without any apparent error. These accounts are perfectly okay when I log in with them and start Retrospect. They have all the rights needed etc. There are no spaces in the names and If I re-enter them they are accepted by Retrospect as valid users. The entries in the preferences/security are 'sticky' so they show up next time I start the program.

I tried all the same actions: logging of, rebooting, other accounts etc. It just doesn't matter.

I use Windows server 2003 and it's my first use of this option. Could it be something in W2k3?

Ok, here's an update on this issue.

I noticed that when RB gets started automatically by the launcher, the user I set in the prefs is used (as evidenced from the title bar).

However, I still can't have RB use this user when I start RB manually.

Is this normal behavior?

Archived