Need ability to rename (Disk) Backup sets

Today I remembered another thing that has annoyed me about Disk Backup sets (compared with File Backup sets--after I've converted about 80 from File to Disk...)--the *in*ability to rename Disk Backup sets. It's very common for computers to get moved around and retasked and so backup set names no longer make sense and must be renamed for continued use (preferably without throwing away the existing backup data).

With machines (and Retro Clients & backup sets) named by locations and/or other logical machine name, I *need* the ability to rename Disk Backup sets. Retro7 provides the ability to transfer backup sets, but that's only one step above (in time & effort) just starting over with a new backup set.

It's certainly easy enough to move files around among harddisk directories and rename files & folders within a disk backup tree. I don't know if there is any info *internal* to the backup files that needs to be changed by a rename. R7++ should provide a way to (Right-click> Rename Disk (and File) Backup set, in a manner similar to renaming scripts and other logical entities.

Hi

Agreed, this would be good.

FWIW The reason backup sets can't be renamed is that each segment of the backup set includes the backup set name. That makes renaming tape and CD/DVD backups virtually impossible. Disk backup sets are a bit more flexible but you would still need all of the disks present to make the name change stick throughout the set and be accurate after a catalog rebuild.

Thanks

Nate

Since all my disk backup sets are on mounted HDs, all the segments are present. The rename could require that (with an error/warning if they're not). Of course Retrospect *could* allow the user to change the *visible* name while keeping the old internal name(s) to provide the "illusion" of the set having a new name.

The only reason I switched from File to Disk was due to the new grooming feature (although the much easier way to specify a Disk Backup location in R7 made the decision easier).

Archived