Media Timeout Request

I am using Retrospect Backup - Single Server version 6.5.343, on a Dell PowerEdge 2600 using Windows 2000 Server SP4. The backup device is a Seagate DAT DDS-4 internal drive. The media request timeout is set for 2 hours. However, the session will not quit if the timeout limit is exceeded. The Activity Monitor still says "waiting for media" well after the 2 hours is up. The log just shows the job starting & just say "Coping Shares on DATA". Any ideas on how to get the media timeout to work? It used to work on the same machine using an older version of Retrospect (5.X).

Thanks for any input,

Jeff

In regard to native Windows drivers: I've seen several times that the fact of _update_ of these broke Retrospect's operation. One should make sure that there no "ghost" entries in the Device Manager, too ("View hidden devices" should be checked)

Also - rather long, but excellent posting in Langa.com list:

"Windows keeps a Device Manager entry for every piece of hardware that's ever been recognized by the system, regardless of whether it is currently present in the machine or was even set up correctly in the first place. The "View Hidden Devices" option in Device Manager won't show you these "residual" drivers. You can force it to show you everything by going to My Computer Properties, the Advanced tab, Environment Variables, and adding a new system variable with the name "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" and a value of 1. Now opening Device Manager and choosing "Show Hidden Devices" really will show you everything. Standard practice at the factory is to use a single image and just move it from model to model, letting it plug and play all the new hardware along the way. This leaves you with an impressive list of hardware still in the Device Manager, but no longer in the system. ... Jon Pickle"

BTW, privately to NateW: you may consider adding a line "Disable Windows drivers for the tape drive..." to your signature %^)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (I have been out of the office). I did update the version to 6.5.350, and tried the "Show Hidden Devices" trick. The only thing showing up under Tape Drives is disabled. I just tried running another backup with the wrong tape, and set the tape timeout to 2 minutes. Twenty minutes later, the job is still active and Retrospect is blinking "waiting for media". The log just shows "-3/9/2005 10:43:00 AM: Copying Shares on DATA (D:)" as the only entry.

Anything else to try?

Hi

Unfortunately there may be some corruption in your Retropsect preference files. Its easy to create new preferences but you will have to set up your backups again.

Try this:

Move the Documents and settings\all users\application data\Retrospect folder to another location on your hard disk. Then restart Retrospect and set up a test backup that doesn't have media available. Make sure to set the media timeout to 2 minutes before running this test.

If Retrospect quits like it is supposed to you can assume the preferences were damaged. If not, let us know.

Thanks

Nate

I moved the Retrospect preference files, set up a test backup that just backed up one folder on a local drive, set the media timeout for 2 minutes, and let it run. For the test, the media timeout worked as planned.

With a feeling of optimism, I then reset up all the scripts, sets, tapes, and clients. When I went to test this with all the components setup, the media timeout failed to terminate the executing job.

I also just tried running a test with a lone tape and having it backup only one local folder, and the media timeout failed to terminate the execution.

Very strange.

Archived