Professional 6.0 & Mac Client VPN

jmj

I have a small Retrospect backup system in my home shop. Retrospect Professional 6.0 running on Windows 2000 (Pro). One Remote Client (6.0) running on Windows XP. A second Remote Client (6.0) running on MacOSX 10.3.8 - all these are on the same physical ethernet hub.

I have run into a problem where the Windows 2000 server cannot communicate with the Mac client if the Mac client has a VPN connection open (built in VPN software). This does not seem to be an issue with the Windows client (also built in VPN software). This is extremely repeatable, and I can fix and break the communication between the Windows server and Mac client by doing absolutely nothing except connecting or disconnecting the VPN connection on the Mac client.

The built-in Mac firewall is turned off (a Linksys box provides firewall protection from the outside). Other network access like ping, etc. seems to work fine between the Windows server and Mac client regardless of the Mac client VPN status. I have just upgraded the Mac client with the 6.0 Mac client download from the Dantz website, with no change in this problem/behavior.

Appreciate any ideas or solutions.

-john

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

VPN software adds a network interface to the machine. When this is active Retrospect client may fail because it runs on the VPN interface not the local ethernet interface. I suspect that is what is happening in your case.

Thanks

Nate

Archived