Unix client install

dahev

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dantz.com/en/products/win_business/requirements.dtml

Then why does it state on the above page on the Dantz Website for

System Requirements for Solaris Clients:

SPARC-based processor

Solaris 7, 8, 9

I made my purchase based on this information. Am I to understand EMC Dantz has taken up misleading their customers? The manual says consult the website for supported versions of Solaris (and the various Linux distros).

I have Retrospect 7.0 running fine on both Solaris 7 and Solaris 8. No problems doing backups and restores on either machine. The only minor problem that I encountered was that passwords can be no longer than 8 characters; note that this 8 character limitation exists with all other products that require a password on our Solaris systems, so it may be simply be related to how we have our Solaris systems configured.

Bancroft

dahev,

I have confirmed that Retrospect only supports Solaris 8 and 9. The note about Solaris 7 compatibility was a typo. We are removing that information from our site now.

Please contact the EMC Dantz customer service department if you need to return the software.

Thanks,

Nate @ EMC Dantz Technical Support

Nate,

Are you aware of a problem with running the Retrospect 7.0 client on Solaris 7, or is it that EMC Dantz has chosen to not test such an old version of Solaris? I have the Retrospect 7.0 client working fine on two Solaris 7 machines. Is there a lurking problem with doing this that I am not aware of?

Bancroft

Hi

I'm not aware of any particular problems but until now I had not spoken to anyone who could get it to work. The daemon won't start in the cases I have seen so far.

To the best of my knoledge Dantz never tested with Solaris 7.

Thanks

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Solaris has a 10yr product lifecycle-- that's Solaris' selling point. SunOS 5.7 support is terminates in 2008, I believe. Solaris7 is still viable, but I would recommend the newer versions instead. Now, whether Dantz chooses to support Solaris7 is something else entirely...

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/releases.xml

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/lifecycle.xml

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

boas, i've noticed the 8 character limit too. one thing to add, it seems only to be a problem when you log into the machine. once you log in, you can change the password to a longer one. i've only tested an 10 character password, so i'm not sure if there is a limit. here's what i did:

1) install the client, put a simple 6 character password on the machine

2) log into the client

3) change the password to my 10 character password

4) backup/restore/enjoy

Archived