Greetings,

There's probably an easy answer to this, but it's not obvious to me.

The way I work with audio files forces me often to move folders full of 1-2gigs of data between partions on my drive. After doing this, I have to redefine the folder (as a subfolder), and Retrospect, thinking that it has never backed up these files before, proceeds to waste yards of tape backing up redundant data. How can I make Retrospect remember the folder in question after I move it to another location? Thanks for your help!

Dan

Retrospect doesn't match against the location of the files unless you specifically tell it to. Retrospect uses several matching criteria to compare files that have already been backed up to what is about to be backed up. If one of the following has been changed at all, Retrospect will back up the file again: name, size, type, creator, creation date and time, modify date and time, and label.

If Retrospect is reporting that it is about to back up files you know have not changed since your last backup, take a closer look at a sample file. Choose a file and start a restore by search for that file. When you get to the final window (you don't actually have to do the restore), click Files Chosen and Get Info (Command-I) on the most recent version of the file on the backup. Print or take a screenshot of this window.

Now, go to the Configure tab from the Retrospect Directory and click Volumes. Choose the volume the file is on and click Browse. Find the file in question and Get Info on it. Put the two windows side by side and look for even the slightest difference in any of the criteria I listed above.

Archived