Can't access Exchange 5.5 mailboxes in another domain

BillIrwin

I have Retro 7.0.249 running on a 2003 server in a new domain NSA. The Exchange 5.5 SP4 server is running on an NT4 SP6a PDC in another domain NSAC. I have a verified two-way trust established between the NSA and NSAC domains. I've created an account NSAC\Retro that's a member of all the groups the manual says to add it to (Administrators, Backup Operators, Domains Admins & Domain Users), and I've added this account to the Exchange permissions as a Service Admin in containers for Organization, Domain, Configuration and Servers.

When I try to set Retrospect to run as the NSAC\Retro account in Preferences I get, "The provided login information is invalid", so I've left it as NSA\administrator.

In Volumes, where the client server's Exchange Server container states a license is required, the screen that appears after assigning the license will accept Domain: NSAC, Connect as: Retro & password.

This produces two containers under Exchange Server: Directory Service and Information Store. Selecting to browse either of these shows the information.

Making sure that the same NSAC\Retro credentials is assigned to the Exchange Mailboxes container, a click of the Mailboxes button generates a window stating that an additional license is required, with a box to provide a key. The "License Required" text beside this container disappeared when I assigned the license to the Exchange Server container.

So it looks like my first issue is to get Retrospect to run as NSAC\Retro. Then to be able to browse mailboxes without providing another license.

Bill

Hi

Getting Retrospect to run NSAC\Retro of the other domain may not work - it shouldn't be necessary either.

Does the user named "Retro" have any mail in thier mailbox? In order for mailbox backup to work the specified user needs to have an active mailbox. You have to have at least one message for the mailbox to activate.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the suggestion, but the link you provided doesn't open a KB article. I searched for article 3291284 but came up blank. Can you provide the article ID?

My Dantz sales rep said that I need multi-server in order to backup mailboxes on a remote Exchange server. That doesn't sound right when the documentation states that you need a server client to backup a remote server (which I'm able to do) and an Exchange Database/Mailboxes license (which I've applied to this server). I'm able to backup the Directory and Information Store without an error, so it doesn't make sense that I need multi-server just to add the mailboxes to the backup.

Bill

hi...

sorry i didn't check the link (just a cut and paste !). Doesn't seem to be a KB article number for it...go to

http://kb.dantz.com/

search for exchange and it's the 4th FAQ "How should Exchange 5.5 be setup so Retrospect 6.5 can access the server? ". This worked for me with a similar setup to yours (two domains/two servers/retrospect 6.5 and exhange 5.5)

BUT I suspect that what the sales rep says might be correct. I think that single server only allows you to backup one windows server on your network (which i assume is the one running retropspect (the local server ?) - whether you are backing that up or not !)

Is it possible to download a multiserver trial of retrospect ? to see if this helps.

si

Si:

I had a trial of multi-server 6.5 and 7.0, but neither had Exchange Agent enabled. Using the Server Client license (there are two in the Value Pack) I'm able to define the remote NT4 Exchange 5.5 server as a client and add Volumes to the list. I can back up the Exchange Directory and Information Store Volumes. It's just the Exchange Mailboxes Volume that's asking for another license.

I thought multi-server meant installing Retrospect on more than one server and having multiple backup servers. It looks like backing up mailboxes may require multi-server, although that seems absurd.

Bill

Upgrading to multi-server solved this problem, but I don't think it should be required. The way the product licensing for single server R7 seems to work, if your Exchange server is running locally on your backup server you can backup mailboxes. If it's remote on a client server you can only backup the Exchange Directory Service and Information Store, but not the mailboxes. This is by design?

Hi

The separation of mailbox and data store backups is _not_ by design. I'm not sure what is going on there.

Single server 6.5 allows you to back up the local server OS. You cannot backup client machines that are running a server OS.

Multi Server 6.5 allows you to back up any machine as a client regardless if it is a server or a workstation.

In your case I suspect Retrospect was not recognizing that the Exchange Server was running a server OS. As a result you were able to back it up via Retrospect client. Go figure, a bug that works in your favor!?

This is good news for you in general but the free ride appears to end with the mailbox backup.

To confuse things even more, I think Single Server 7 will now allow you to run Retrospect on a desktop machine and back up one networked server as a client.

Thanks

Nate

I think SS7 was seeing a server OS on the client Exchange server because it used one of the two Client Server licenses to allow me to backup regular files. Then, when I wanted to backup Exchange on the Client Server, it used my Exchange license. Then, when I went to add Mailboxes in, was told I needed another license.

I'm on MS7 now and getting everything, but I think there's a bug in SS7. I can't imagine why backup up one remote Exchange server with one Retrospect backup server should require a multi-server license.

Do you know where I can find instructions on changing my Exchange 5.5 from circular logging so I can do incremental backups? One thing I read sounded like I had to reinstall it all over again, which would not be a good thing.

Thanks again Nate.

Hi

Your local backup machine is Windows 2003 server - that uses up the one Single Server license. After that you need an additional Client 1 license pack to get the server running exchange. That should be all you need though.

Multi- Server just simplifies all this license silliness and lets you backup any machine.

Sorry but I don't have the info on circular logging.

Thanks

Nate

Archived