Sign in to follow this  
ingvald

Full backup every day?

How do I configure Retrospect 6.5 to make a complete backup of all files every weekday? Also I don't want retrospect to care about witch tape is inserted?

Ingvald

Hi

You can set all of your backups to do a recycle backup on one backup set.

Your restores will be a royal pain though.

Nate

just out of curiousity, why would the restores be a pain?

If you have a 10-tape rotation, you can easily identify what day you would like to restore a file from, grab the tape, and restore it?

thanks,

doug

Hi

You want to be able to put in any tape on any day right?

That means you will have 10 tapes that have the exact same name eg "1-backup set A". Since you recycle the catalog and the tape every day your catalog file will only contain information for the most recent tape. You will have to rebuild the catalog on each tape separately just to see what is on it. That can take hours for each tape. Not fun when you need your data soon.

A little extra effort when you do the backup will make your backups super easy. All you need to do is create multiple backup sets and try your best to stick to the media rotation schedule.

Thanks

Nate

I'm with Ingvald. I would like nothing more than to have a daily backup that will write a full copy to any tape in the drive. But Retrospect seems incapable of allowing it. The way Retrospect requires the backups to be setup causes much more administration from me. This is a serious pain because the Retrospect server resides at a remote location with a secretary who's job it is to switch out tapes. Any suggestions how I might set this up to work best in this situation? Daily Normal backups with a Friday Recycle?

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard for Dantz to add a checkbox to the preferences that would optionally "force" you to use correct media or not. That way, in the circumstances that warrant it, "WE" could have control over how our backups are done.

While I agree that in a perfect world, Retrospect's method of forcing us to use the proper tape is best, I have clients that will fight this to the bitter end. Even if it means them getting a new PC consultant. At this point one of my customers has inisted on changing tape software and another is very close.

This is unfortunate for all of us Dantz. You make it hard for us to push your product when you won't be responsive to a request. You aren't incable of allowing this option, you seem too be to stubborn to allow it. Please quit being so stubborn and give us (your customer) what we're asking for.

Miles:

Earlier in this thread Nate described how to configure Retrospect to perform a full backup on any tape that's in the drive. You should re-read it.

Some clients want to keep doing things the way they've always done them, regardless of how inefficient it is, or what kind of improvements have come along. After all, there were those who said the telephone was just a fad novelty, or Bill Gates saying that no PC would ever require more than 640K on memory.

Things change, and our jobs as consultants is to help our clients to benefit from new technology, not to switch programs into a "dumb mode" so that they can continue doing things the way they always have. This is not doing the clients a service. If you educate them on the advantages a reasonable client will be willing to go through a modest learning curve to get them. For unreasonable clients, are they going to hold you responsible for their inability to restore what they need when the time comes? If so, I wouldn't want a client like that.

For the kind of blind backups that you're describing, why do you need anything other than the Backup program that comes free with Windows?

Admittedly, I have been thrown into supporting a Windows Server with Retrospect as the backup solution so I don't know too much about it but how is this not just a glorified incremental backup?

Another thought, with the way backup sets work... if you run a recycle on the first day of each week for a given month. Haven't you wiped out the chances of getting the information off of the rest of the tapes in the backup set if you come up missing a file? For example... say I find that I am missing a file on the first Tuesday of the Month and I need the copy from the the first Tuesday of last month, but I've already recycled the media on this Monday. Can I still get the files?

If you read through the manual and become aware of all the capabilities of Retrospect, you'll answer this question yourself. You can use it as a backup assistant that forces you to maintain your backup scheme ... whether that be a simple any tape on any day scheme (where you pay the penalty during restore time), or a sophisticated scheme that allows you to select from a smorgasborg of file versions to restore. Your choice.

The answer is no. You can't get a file from a backup set that was stored before you did a Recycle on that set. The definition of a Recycle backup is that you don't need anything that the set contains ... on any of the tapes, DVDs or disks of that set. If you want to be able to restore files from more than a month ago set your scheme to Recycle at two or three months ... or whatever is appropriate.

You need to spend some time in the manual and learn about the various features available, and how they're used in combination to achieve virtually anything you need. I remember the days when I ran backups by typing a TAR command and piping it to a tape device node. Retrospect compared to that is like a current notebook compared to my Commodore PET (circa 1978).