1000's of Diff. type errors from windows client!?!

I am trying to back up a windows client (win 2000) to a mac OS9 server- I am getting THOUSANDS of Different type errors (src: TEXT, dest: XXXX). All the files are supposedly sourced as text files but at destination time are being read as files of the type the extension is (i.e. .jpg, .bmp, etc.). What causes this and how can I prevent it- it fills about a quarter of my log with error lists every time it happens, and I don't feel like I'm getting good backups. The procedure is to backup all the clients to a local drive, and then backup the local drive. If I ever get a lockup it is also in the middle of backing up this windows client- so something is definitely fishy.

Everything is v4.3- all my mac clients mac up fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Looked into this a little further- it appears two clients are doing this regularly- but not always. Both are laptops running Win2k. The machines don't go down, but it does hang the server- definitely not good. The RAM allocation on retrospect is 35MB so it wouldn't seem that number of files to back up is an issue either. Could it have to do with the machines having their users logged out?

Any clues or ideas woul be appreciated.

Archived