"1-Backup Set A" is corrupt or has data from another set.”

easytime

My backup stopped working. (Apparently due to a corrupt backup set. It seems I will have to reformat my backup drive to get rid of the corrupt file unless someone has a solution.)

I will describe first what I think is significant, in hope that this will lead to a resolution of the problem, and then other details. If anybody knows how to correct this, please let me know.

I do both a “Backup” and “Duplicate” each day.

After running automatically for weeks, my “Backup” stopped during execution. The log indicated:

“The Backup Set member "1-Backup Set A" is corrupt or has data from another set.”

A file browser view of the back up drive (E:\) shows that I have my “Duplicate” copy of Drive C:\ (C partition only) But I noticed two things that may be “irregular”.

In the Duplicate copy of Drive C:\ ( C partition only) there is a Folder called “Retrospect” which contains a folder called “Backup Set A” which contained the file “1-Backup Set A” and a folder called “Backup Set C” which contained the file “1-Backup Set C” (I thought backup sets were hidden files and would not show up on a file browser.) (I don’t remember creating “1-Backup set C” but may have done so inadvertently when I first started to use Retrospect and was not familiar with all of its terminology.) Clicking on “1-Backup Set A” results in an error message “1-Backup Set A” is not accessible. “1-Backup set C” is accessible and displays files AA000000.rdb, AA000001.rdb etc. I assume these are the normal Backup files

There is a 2nd “Duplicate” copy of Drive C:\ (C partition only) within the first “Duplicate” copy of Drive C:\. In the first Duplicate” copy of Drive C:\ there is a folder called “Retrospect Backup” which contains as folder called “Backup copy of Drive C ©” which contains the 2nd “Duplicate copy of drive C:\ (I don’t remember Duplicating drive C:\ to a folder in the existing Duplicate copy of drive C:\ but may have done so inadvertently when I first started to use Retrospect and was not familiar with all of its terminology.)

Since I cannot access “1-Backup Set A” with a file browser, I cannot erase it with the browser. I am totally confused about the “Forget” command. From what I understand, “forgetting” a backup set does not remove it from the disk. If the problem with “1-Backup Set A” is a one time “quirk” that corrupted the file, I guess I could reformat my backup drive to clear everything off of it. However, I’m not sure how using this method would affect the catalog files. Will the program detect the missing backup set and ask if I want to delete the catalogs? Would I have to delete them manually? Would “Forgetting” them do it?

I just created a new backup set and backed up about 600 MB of files and it seemed to work OK. The Retrospect backup files are in a subfolder of E:\Retrospect

My system:

Dell Dimension 8250

Pentium 4 2.40 GHz

512 MB Memory

80 GB Hard Drive partitioned into C, F, G, H, I logical drives (D is DVD)

Win XP Pro (SP2)

Retrospect Express 6.0.222 OEM

Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.9.106

Backup Drive is External Maxtor “One Touch” 120 GB USB File system = NTFS

Nate, Thanks for the prompt reply.

I ran Tools > Repair > Recreate from Disks but the only backup set that appeared in the resulting dialog box was “Backup Set D” which was the 600 MB test Backup Set which I created to see if the Retrospect software could still back up and if the hardware accepted the backup. I got the same result whether I selected “All Disks” or “Last Disk”.

Other Information:

The last “Duplicate” that ran before things went south had two execution error messages which I don’t recall seeing before: For one file it was “appears incomplete” and a couple of other files were “can't read, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)”.

Later during a Retrospect “Backup” I got:

While scanning volume MAXTOR,

Folder E:\Retrospect\Backup Set A\1-Ba...,

Scanning incomplete, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

Followed by about a dozen:

Folder E:\Retrospect Backup\Backup cop...,

Scanning incomplete, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

I have done several things to try to more clearly define the problem.

A manual (“Immediate”) Backup attempted. Scans backup drive e:\ (A 120 GB Maxtor “One Touch” external USB hard drive). After scanning about 7,000 folders (150,000 files) it stops and reports “Scanning encountered major errors, see log for details”. After clicking “OK” on that dialog box, the box closes and scanning resumes. The Immediate Backup box indicates “executing: and then a “Backup Set A” box opens “Select a disk to add as storage to Backup Set A . . . (All Data will probably fit on one new 81 GB disk)”. Clicking “Show Member” shows

“1-Backup Set A on Maxtor Size 83.9 G Free 45.3 G (35%)”

Other Error Messages, tests and actions:

“ The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”

I can still write files to the backup drive (E). I can open files on drive E.

A read/write test on E was OK. (Ontrack [Vcom] System Suite 4.0.30.21)

I ran the rebuild catalog tool.

I reinstalled the driver.

I tried to delete E:\Retrospect (which contained the folder “Backup Set A” which in turn contained the file 1-Backup Set A) It would not let me delete the folder because it was not empty. This is true even if I uncheck the Read Only attribute box.)

If I open Retrospect and click on Configure > Devices it reports “No backup devices found”.

The Environment tab shows my internal hard drive and DVD writer, but not the external drive.

But, I think it has done this for as long as I can remember and always backed up before.

Windows Device Manager indicates that drive E is working properly.

Hi

Retrospect pushes your hardware a lot harder than Windows normally does. If there are problems, Retrospect will uncover them.

The unknown windows errors are a concern. If possible I would reformat the Maxtor drive and run a disk scan will all of the scanning options enabled. Also make sure the Maxtor drive is connected directly to your computer, not to a USB hub.

A hard disk will never show up as a backup device in Retrospect. This is by design. You can however add any disk as a member of a disk backup set.

Thanks

Nate

Archived