"... is not accessible. Access denied." error when restored to Windows and trying to open file.

syrinia

Hi, I'm using Express 6.5. I backed everything up to an external hard drive without any problems. I then restored everything back (because I had to format and reinstall Windows, yuck) and all the files are accessible except for a few that were backed up from the Documents and Settings folder. I used Restore and copied all the files over, but when I try to open them (such as Outlook.pst for all my old email) it says "<file or folder here> is not accessible. Access denied."

Has anyone else had this problem? I need to import all my old email from Outlook into the newly reinstalled Outlook and I can't seem to access anything that was backed up from Documents and Settings.

I had a problem similar to this. For me, it was unrelated to Retrospect.

What has happened is for some reason "ownership" of the files/folders has been changed to be blank. Therefore everybody on that system no longer has access, even Administrators.

So...you have to "take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"

Check out: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 for info on how to change this.

Hopefully, this will point in the right direction.

Not sure why it was changed, but at least for now you should be able to get to your data.

Archived