Backup Speed -- 380mb/min Now; Improvement Possible?

I am consistently getting around 380mb/min backup speeds. What might I do to improve?

CLIENT: The client is a file/fax/email server; dual Xeon 2.4ghz cpus; 2gb ram; RAID 5 storage; 110gb to backup. This machine is running Retro Client software.

RETRO SERVER: The pc running Retrospect Multi-Server has a single 2.8ghz P4; 1gb ram; ATA 133 (ide) drives (not raided). The backup target drive is ide removeable, not usb or firewire.

Would I be better off installing Retrospect MS on the server which is currently the client above and letting it backup to the removeable drive of the pc that is now the server?

Would use of gigabit ethernet between the two pcs make any difference?

What else might I do to improve speed? I realize that there are lots of people who wish they could get 380mb/min speed. I'm not complaining, but I would like to optimize my system.

Hi

Before you change anything I would do a benchmark of optimal speed.

Create a few big files (500MB+ each) and save them on the client machine. Then backup only those files with compression disabled. This will give you an idea of how much you can get across the wire in an ideal situation.

You may find that large numbers of small files are what is slowing down your backup. In that case there isn't much you can do other than lower the number of files.

Nate

Archived