-519 error w MacOS 10.3.7 client

etiffany

I am getting fairly consistent -519 errors backing up my MacOS client to my Windoze server. This started happening right after I upgraded the OS to 10.3.7 --- nothing about the setup has changed apart from the change from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7 on the client.

This problem seems to happen during the backup of big files (such as the 4GB Virtual PC "disk" on the client) or during the switch from backup to verify passes. If the number of files or the size of the backup is small (less than a few hundred files or less than 2-3 GB) the backup finishes successfully.

Any clues? I haven't seen any other reports of this issue.

Here's the setup

Server:

Win XP Pro (SP2)

Retrospect 6.5.343 (Driver Update, version 5.3.103)

VXA-1 Firewire tape

Network:

100Mb

Client:

Powerbook G4

Retro Client version 6.0.109

Hi

If you exclude all files larger than 2 GB from the backup will it complete successfully?

As a basic first step I would run the client uninstaller, reboot and then reinstall. I have not seen or heard of similar problems after the 10.3.7 update. (not yet anyway...)

Nate

This error does not seem dependent on the 2gb file. I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled as you suggested. The server backed up about 1.5 GB of files, and the job died again on the verification pass (with 0 files completed). This behavior is well correlated with the 10.3.7 update.

In addition, I forgot to mention that the client continues to think that it is connected to the server even after the -519 error is reported on the server. Subsequent backups of this client result in the -505 error (unless I intervene and stop/start the retroclient).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The 505 error is not unusual when network communication falls apart like this. The manner that the connection failed makes the client app believe the backup is still running.

Just out of curiosity: Use the network control panel on your Mac to slow down the network interface on the Mac to 10MB. Do you still have trouble in that scenario?

Thanks

Nate

Well, I can try that but do you know how long it takes to back up 20G across a 10Mb segment? Longer than I have time for, really. It seems to work correctly for smaller backups, so if I make this change for the incremental tonight it will probably work and it won't prove anything. I need to run a full recycle and I don't have time to mess with that this week.

Are you suggesting that 10.3.7 hosed something in the networking code such that running at 10Mb is the only way to keep Retroclient happy? Because my troubles are highly correllated with that update.

Hi

I have a mac here that _appears_ to work fine in everyday networking, however it fails miserably when I use a 100MB connection with Retrospect client.

After weeks of troubleshooting I narrowed it down to either a faulty network port or faulty network drivers on the mac. I'm curious to see if yours fails in the same manner.

Thanks

Nate

Ah, OK, that is good info. I'm out of town until Feb 1, but when I get back I will take a look at using 100Mb/sec vs 10Mb/sec --- the challenge is to find a definitive test case. Possibly backing up my Virtual PC 4Gb disk image, although it might have more to do with the number of files than the size.

What sort of failure did you see with 100Mb? Again, the problem I saw happened (mostly) when switching from backup to verify.

Hi

For me the scan woul work perfectly but the backup would stop or proceed at about 0.2 megabytes per minute whenever I was on a 100MB port. I changed to 10MB and everything works fine. Backups run at about 48 MB/minute. Lousy but better than nothing.

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting related -505 error (backup client reserved) after upgrading the client to 10.3.7 . I have to reboot the client to remove the error. The host is Retrospect 6.5.350 and the client is 6.0 . No clue on what to do, though.

• 1 month later...

OK, I don't have the patience to run at 10MB/sec. It would take 11 hours. However, after replacing some cables, and updating the driver on my windows server ethernet card, I still get pretty reliable failure.

Here are two log excerpts from my testing today. The remote machine Parkmac2 is a 1.25Ghz iBook with Retroclient 6.109. These two recycle backups died in exactly the same place, after comparing 39815 files. I also still have the -519 problem on my Powerbook AL15, though it doesn't seem to be as consistent. But this would seem to argue in favor of either a Retrospect failure or a mac driver problem (though my PB has the Ghz ethernet and the iBook doesn't so I rate the probability low that they both have the same network glitch. OTOH, both these mac clients are running Mac OS 10.3.7)

- 3/13/2005 9:45:00 AM: Copying Macintosh HD on Parkmac2

3/13/2005 11:14:44 AM: Snapshot stored, 79.2 MB

3/13/2005 11:16:05 AM: Comparing Macintosh HD on Parkmac2

File "Macintosh HD:NAVMac800QSFile": didn't compare at data offset 0

Folder "'Lees voordat u 'iDVD?' installeert.rtfd": not found in parent folder "Nederlands - Belangrijke Informatie"

Folder "iDVD ?????????? ????? ?????????.rtfd": not found in parent folder "«—±€ - ¡flø‰ ¡§∫∏"

Folder "à¿ëï iDVD? îVëOêøêÊâ{?.rtfdd": not found in parent folder "ºÚÃÂ÷–Œƒ - ÷ÿ“™–≈œ¢"

Folder "iDVD? ÇÃÉCÉìÉXÉgÅ[ÉãÇÃëOÇ….rtfd": not found in parent folder "ì˙ñ{åÍ - èdóvÇ»èÓïÒ"

Folder "à¿Â‰ iDVD? ëOêøêÊâ{ʧ.rtfd": not found in parent folder "î…ÈìíÜï∂ - èdóvéëêu"

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

3/13/2005 11:32:07 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 252692 files, 11.0 GB

Completed: 39815 files, 2.1 GB

Performance: 159.6 MB/minute (162.7 copy, 142.2 compare)

Duration: 01:47:06 (00:10:24 idle/loading/preparing)

- 3/13/2005 3:40:00 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on Parkmac2

3/13/2005 5:16:44 PM: Snapshot stored, 79.2 MB

3/13/2005 5:18:03 PM: Comparing Macintosh HD on Parkmac2

File "Macintosh HD:NAVMac800QSFile": didn't compare at data offset 0

Folder "'Lees voordat u 'iDVD?' installeert.rtfd": not found in parent folder "Nederlands - Belangrijke Informatie"

Folder "iDVD ?????????? ????? ?????????.rtfd": not found in parent folder "«—±€ - ¡flø‰ ¡§∫∏"

Folder "à¿ëï iDVD? îVëOêøêÊâ{?.rtfdd": not found in parent folder "ºÚÃÂ÷–Œƒ - ÷ÿ“™–≈œ¢"

Folder "iDVD? ÇÃÉCÉìÉXÉgÅ[ÉãÇÃëOÇ….rtfd": not found in parent folder "ì˙ñ{åÍ - èdóvÇ»èÓïÒ"

Folder "à¿Â‰ iDVD? ëOêøêÊâ{ʧ.rtfd": not found in parent folder "î…ÈìíÜï∂ - èdóvéëêu"

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

3/13/2005 5:35:06 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 252710 files, 11.0 GB

Completed: 39815 files, 2.1 GB

Performance: 148.1 MB/minute (151.2 copy, 131.1 compare)

Duration: 01:55:06 (00:11:08 idle/loading/preparing)

• 1 month later...

OK, I am really frustrated with this.

I have replaced:

- my 10/100 network switch

- PCI Ethernet card in Windows XP Retrospect server

Server is Windows XP Home SP2 (latest patches), Retrospect 6.5.350, 512MB memory

Still getting seemingly random -519 errors on all of my Mac systems:

- iBook with 10.3.6, essentially no other sw installed or running. 3 attempts at recycle backup of 12G has failed at diffent points over the last day.

- iBook with 10.3.9, lots of stuff running (including Netware and Norton)

- PowerBook with 10.3.8, lots of stuff running

All have Energy saver set to never sleep, never sleep disk, processor on highest.

All have 6.109 version of Retro client. All sometimes succeed completely, or fail miserably, with no discernable pattern. Having eliminated all the network variables, I can only conclude that there is some problem with the Windows Retrospect server, the Client, and/or some incompatibility with the underlying OS.

Would moving to Windows Retrospect 7 server fix any of this? I am not able to move clients to Tiger as yet.

This is really starting to annoy me.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I believe I have discovered something, but the exact root is still a bit murky.

I performed *many* tests backing up my iBook's 12G of data:

X-over connect to server: worked

Connect via switch (no other machines): worked

Connect via switch (other machines, no internet connection): worked

Connect via switch (w/ internet connected): Failed

This has proven consistent whether I have DHCP on the client and/or server, and independent of any firewall settings on the internet router. I even enabled firewall on both client and server to see if I could eliminate whatever bad network traffic was hosing my backups (lamely, I am unable to get the Mac to log it's firewall actions despite the correct sysctl incantations, so that was a waste). I did note a lot of Microsoft "snooping" activity on port 2222, and HP printer IPP on port 631.

So, I replaced my Dlink 624 wifi router with an old Netgear MR814, and everything works. Both routers have the latest firmware.

I'm at a loss to explain how the Dlink caused these -519 errors. I turned off UPnP, "Gaming", and I don't have any other tricky ports mapped through except for bittorrent.

The only remaining setting I didn't test was to disable multicast in the Dlink --- which might be something to try.

• 1 month later...

I am in trouble with similar situation. I am backing up with windows2000 running retrospect 6.5.336

and retrospect client on OS X 10.3.9. The buckup media are DDS4 Tapes.

The backup seems to go without error until ca. 20 GB, and then the tape ends and

the server requests for a new tape. After I put a new tape and the server tries to restart

the backup, the server stops with a 519 error.

I suspect there *IS* a problem in retrospect client or Mac OS X network stack,

because we are seeing such a similar situation.

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am in a similar situation.

I am 100% positive that this is a Retrospect problem. With all of the software I use daily and all of the machines I have running, no other software application reports problems with network communication.

I have 10 or so machines on cisco equipment with 100Mbit and 1000Mbit ethernet connections. Not one single piece of software complains about a communication problem:

- sftp, ssh, postgresql, nfs, \\unc mounted drives, remote desktop.. the list goes on and on.

Saying that Retrospect has "issues" with 100Mbit connections is astoundingly absurd. This directly supports the fact that the code/logic in retrospect is not correct..

Most "quality" software in todays world have ways to handle network congestion, interrupts, negotiation, hiccups, whatever... It is called "quality software development". There is obviously not enough intelligence written within the Retrospect client/software engines to handle common network issues.

- timeout, retry, buffer size, performance handling.... something is definitely overlooked.

Also to say that retrospect cannot handle files with "special filename characters"?? Why ?? Can you not expand on the charset?? Fix the problem!

I cannot believe that one would have to reduce thier network speed to a technology used in 1995 just to backup thier 2005 data (even 2005 data without filename charset issues!).

Please fix your software.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Tomaoki

The current version of Retrospect 6.5 is 6.5.350. Please update and try again.

jplewes,

I'd be happy to help troubleshoot the issue if you can provide details about the OS of source and client machines, Retrospect version, Client version and details about network hardware.

If you prefer to share your opinions rather than find solutions that is up to you...

Nate

Archived