Very Unhappy Customer - Retrospect Crash

heverp

I bought MultiServer to automate backup operations and all I've had is grief. Firstly, it is very annoying to have to manually eject the tapes from the DDS drive everyday because Retrospect does NEVER quits properly - the very procedure to achieve an ejected tape each day is, frankly, stupid, as media will be ejected every time you quit, even when you just want to confirm if a job was successful. This is not "Intelligent Backup and Restore" as your slogan claims - why no option to eject media after backup? It’s not like its advanced programming to just call an eject function....

Secondly, and more importantly, the software doesn't backup now, it just crashes with the Visual C++ Runtime error (as described in: http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=38379&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1 ). So now this software is useless to me - it doesn't do what it’s supposed to do and my data is at risk. So what do I do now? This error was flagged last March, its now December, I take it you are doing nothing to correct this. Can I have my money back to buy a software product that actually works?

In case you would even take the time to consider this, I am running Retrospect Multiserver 6.5.350 on Windows 2000 SP 4 with a HP Storageworks DAT 72, accessed via a SCSI cable. I do not have drivers disabled in Device Manager; I found no reference to this during setup and would like to know why it was suggested in the above included post.

I did that already and it didn't work. My catalog is empty, I tried the repair and it filled out the catalog from tape, which would mean that the tape is unlikely to be the problem. The same error was thrown when trying to do a restore. The program is run under the Domain Administrator account and the password hasn't changed.

I'm going to attempt a reinstallation today. Do you guys have European support? Can someone monitor these posts at a resonable European hour, so I can maybe get a resolution to this problem? In the mean time try asking your developers to identify each place where they request a termination from Visual C++ as this is what the error is indicating.

My last successful backup was Thursday December 16th, this is disgraceful for a company that is supposed to provide software to safeguard business data. Why didn't I try another product... For anyone thinking of purchasing this software - backoff and try something else that doesn't crash on its main activity.

Archived